AfricaMercyVolunteer-NewCrewArriving


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands » Tenerife
July 28th 2012
Published: July 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The crew numbers are increasing. Our cabin of 6 berths is now full. The Hospitality team is now very busy. They prepare the bunks, give you the paperwork, and are the first crew members you meet when arriving. First, you are fed. Then your ID picture is taken. Next, you are given a map of the ship (With 8 decks a map is helpful.) and other papers. You are reminded of the rules (Everyone receives a copy before committing to the trip.) and it seems that there are many. However, many are just common sense. Some have to do with being sensitive to cultural norms such as, dress, alcohol consumption, etc. . Finally, you are escorted to your cabin to meet your mates.

There is a curfew for those who live on ship while in Africa, and you are not allowed to leave ship alone. But here in Tenerife we are free to come and go at will when we are off duty. We have many conveniences on ship. It makes life easier. We have a crew bank, post office, convenient store, café, laundry, library, internet café, common area, beauty shop (free haircuts!), a boutique (used clothing, etc. donated by crew for anyone to take) and a dining hall that always has a full coffee pot and drinks. The boutique came in handy for me since I need lots of old T-shirts for the dining room part of my work.

It is a challenge living on ship with so much maintenance and repair going on. The nice part about being in this country for me is that there are no water restrictions. A long hot shower is so nice for an aching back and feet.

Our next port will be Conakry in Africa, but not for a couple more weeks (I think).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb