Day 24 - San Sebastián.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country » San Sebastián
July 13th 2016
Published: July 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Quiet start to the day. Feet and legs feeling the walking from yesterday arvo. Look at options for the rest of the trip, how, when and how long. A few options that we are following up so watch this space......

Eventually out I tot he sun, after another good dump of rain this morning. Yes, we did see morning......

Out to the street and find a bar where they had Pintxos. Lots of little snacks like ham and cheese rolls (but fancier names that's that), bread with interesting stuff in it and other stuff. All went well with a sneaky little Rose. Off to the furnicular which goes up,to the hill beside our place and overlooks the cove and San Sebastián.

Find that and up we travel. Pretty steep and the views agent better as we go. To the top and wow. This is where postcards were invented. Spectacular views down to the city and beaches. And this is the first level. Climb a bit more and better, then more and betterer. Eventually decide to climb the tower which dominates the hill.

Turns out this was built as a lighthouse in the 17th century. Up we go. And not counting stairs..... Lots of old pics on the walls showing the way things were done back in the 1914's and that vintage. Very interesting. Eventually get to the top and climb the last steep spiral staircase to the roof level. Bit windy but now the views far excede the climb. Wow, wow. Whee to snap photos. Do some then just sit and breathe in the views.

Eventually come down to earth and we walk to the bar area and chrismspots someone with a hop on off brochure. Asks if they speak English of course, Aussies always do. They are from a country town south of Melbourne. Might of heard of it - Inverloch. Yep, they have been doing Italy, Switzerland and now Spain. Chat for a bit, then decide to come back down to catch the hop,on off bus. Big mistake, should have just stayed and had a drink sucking in the Sights. Never mind.

By the time we hit ground level it is raining again. Wait for the bus and then get on. Roof is over the seats so we are dry. Hostess comes up and asks if we want the roof open. Silence so in the end Chris says yes. Much better. Do the round trip, then get off close to our accomodation. Decide to get into warmer clothes for dinner tonight. A bit chilly out there.

DEddie to try a restaurant that was recommended by the tourist bureau person. Fusion place not too far from home. Try to call and book, no response. No worries. Walk to the restaurant - after 2030 - find it without any fuss. Open the door, usual question - booking? Nope.. Comes back with a smile, we have a seat for you. Looks like a nice place.

Seated, menus placed and off we go. Chris decides to do the degustation menu, I pick what I think I can eat. Drinks ordered and away we go. Hmm, slight delay, then the red bottle appears, taste and Chris asks where our bubbles are.... Oh dear, apologies and bubbles appear rather quickly. Them we get 1st course. All good. Chris gets her 2nd course, along with my prawns. we sit for a while waiting for cutlery for Chris then she finally gets the waitresses attention and asks for cutlery. Oh dear. Embarrassment and apologies. From here on we are in the box seat. Great service and lots of smiles.

Food is spectacular and wine to,match. Overall a great night out. Don't ask about the bill......

Nice walk back home - about 20 minutes but very pleasant. Now to pay some bills and some washing.. The apartment even has a washing machine. Bonus.......

Advertisement



Tot: 0.337s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb