Surfing for San Sebastian


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country » San Sebastián
October 14th 2008
Published: October 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

San Sebastian has the potential for having the most idealistically beautiful beach in Europe beyond what I could explain so check out the pictures....

Furthermore the downtown has much to offer in the way of shopping, tapas bars, party scenes, and charm that only a middle sized city could have.

If it wasn't for the mediocre weather (cloudy with highs in the 70s - September) we would have stayed for days.

Undoubtedly, surfing has been a highlight of our trip. Just minutes east of the main harbor is a beach that has good sized waves with plenty of surf shops offering boards and lessons. Two other tourists and ourselves picked up boards, wet suits and an instructor for some 25 Euros a person. It'd be the first time surfing for both Maria and I, but neither of us was about allow that to become an excuse for not standing up.

To set the stage it was cloudy and cold, the water was colder, and I wouldn't deny splitting a bottle of courage juice to jump into water (did I mention Maria and I both hate cold water!). In order to stand up, there are a couple essential steps: 1.) Swim on your board, chest down, arms flailing about in the direction of the shore, and of course this is assuming you're some ways out, just before the waves crest. 2.) So, once you spot your wave step the paddling into high gear and then you'll feel the wave raise you while gravity begins pushing you down and towards the shore (the rush begins) 3.) Next, with balance, arch your neck and shoulders up by straightening your arms while allowing your torso to continue resting on the board. 4.) If you're still on the board, place the foot that will go in front... well in the front of the board and leave the back leg where it is. 5.) If you are still balanced pick your back foot up and place it on the board. 6.) In order to stay on the board recognize that you're rear foot helps steer and the key to staying on is looking forward. 7.) MOST IMPORTANT: Enjoy the rush, it's like none other and I can finally appreciate how I hear surfers talk about "the wave" and "being connected with nature." Highly recommend anyone to give it a try.

Surf's up
10 weeks worth of Back Packs10 weeks worth of Back Packs10 weeks worth of Back Packs

For 10 weeks we managed to get by with these small bags. Each one is about 12KG, and the small bag is about 2KG.
Dude!
Totally Rad...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

My First Grey HairMy First Grey Hair
My First Grey Hair

That's it, I'm getting old!
Why Europeans are so SkinnyWhy Europeans are so Skinny
Why Europeans are so Skinny

Because their grocery carts are so small.


Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb