Rookie Mistake and Arriving in Menorca


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Balearic Islands » Minorca
June 1st 2011
Published: June 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Lest you all think that this traveling with a baby gig is sooooo easy, I will share our biggest mistake thus far...

Our flight was leaving for Menorca/Minorca at 10 am last Friday. We needed to check in at the airport no later than 45 minutes before the flight. We were a five minute walk to the subway, then a 25 minute train ride, then a brief bus ride to the correct terminal. We got up at 7 aiming for the 8:10 train. No problem, right?

For some reason Delaney decided she really wanted to sleep in so we let her sleep while we finished up the packing and ate breakfast. We woke her up, changed her diaper, and got her dressed. We were running about five minutes late, but should still be fine. On a way out the door, nature calls for D (and not the nice nature). Great. We decide to forge on and change her at the airport ( I know, bad parents).

We arrive at the subway station, but discover in our haste to clean up the apartment we had thrown away our transit card for the subway/commuter train we had bought the day before. We scramble to dig out the money for another one and head downstairs to catch the subway. 4 stops lay between us and the commuter train to the airport....it's 8:00, train leaves at 8:09.

We arrive at the train station but are somehow multiple tunnels away from the actual station. We run as best we can with a baby and two suitcases. We find the platform just in time for the doors to literally close in our faces. Ugh. Next train isn't until 8:39. That would give us exactly ten minutes after arriving at the airport train station to check in to our flight. Not going to happen.

After briefly stopping to change D's diaper, we run outside to flag down a cab. It's 8:20 in the morning on a workday in a major city. You can imagine the traffic. We watch our Euros tick away and try to imagine when the next flight to Menorca will be leaving. We arrive at the terminal only to find that our flight is leaving 10 minutes EARLY. We have 2 minutes to check in. Panicked we find the correct desk and miracle of miracles we actually make our flight.

Moral of the story: When traveling with a baby, give yourself a two hour window. You just never know what will happen.

When we arrived in Menorca, we picked up our rental car (a grey Opal Corsa just like every single other tourist....) and headed to the resort. We had a quick bite to eat and a celebratory beer while our room was prepared. Then we enjoyed a bit of the pool and took a walk down our beautiful beach. It was an early night for everyone...


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



1st June 2011

Memories
Know what you mean. My daughter decorated me once as we were going out the door to a wedding. Change of clothes for everyone involved. But, no train, plane or automobile to miss. Glad you made it.
1st June 2011

No way.
I'm sure your daughter did no such thing. You must be thinking of your son :) I forgot to mention that we also managed to leave our giant bag of toiletries in our rush to make the train....sunscreen, shampoo, baby wash, eczema lotion, ugh and double ugh.

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb