Sun, Sand Mallorca!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Balearic Islands » Majorca
June 18th 2012
Published: June 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Two weeks into being in Port de Pollensa (part 2 of the career break) and we have been walking and discovering Mallorca in the 30 degree heat!

First up Castell del Rei This Moorish castle was always supposed to be inaccessible to invaders, but for over a decade private land closure has done that job!
Fortunately nowadays, with a permit requested some days before the hike, you can re-discover a truly fabulous stretch of northern Mallorca.
The walk climbs gently through oak and pine forest eventually reaching the castle 490m above sea level.
Founded by the Moors and strengthened by Jaume I, this was the last fortress to surrender to Pedro of Aragon when the brief-lived kingdom of Mallorca came to an end. The castle has been abandoned since 1715.
The solitude of the Ternelles valley gives us a great opportunity to see resident black vultures, which we were lucky to see!

After the walk we headed to Ca'n Vidalet for a wine tasting with olives and bread- yum!

Then, Alan, whom we had met on the walk showed us the correct way to Cala San Vincente from Port de Pollensa. The water here is much better for swimming than Port de Pollenca.

Today, we went from Vilefanc to Petra- rustic Mallorca. Beautiful but 30 degrees in the shade. According to legend, in the year 1609 a severe drought moved the residents of Petra to climb the hill in a procession in order to pray for rain. The rains came and there was a good harvest, and ever since, the hill and the Sanctuary of the Mother of God have been known as Bonany (good year).
Petra is an inland village situated between the Mallorcan plain and the Serres de Llevant range of hills.
This is where the connection between Mallorca and California originates, with the two places brought together by the figure of JunĂ­per Serra. This Franciscan monk, who was born in Petra in 1713, was head of the missions to higher and lower California, setting up ten missions which, over time, have become great cities within the US, such as San Francisco, San Diego, San Antonio de Padua, Santa Clara, etc.
We followed in those early villagers’ footsteps to climb the 317mtr hill, before dropping down to Villafranca, to see if our prayers have been answered and the bar was open!


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Route to Castell del ReiRoute to Castell del Rei
Route to Castell del Rei

Only 20 visitors are allowed into the headland per day.
Castell del ReiCastell del Rei
Castell del Rei

The King's palace- recently it has been done up. Your ordinary folk don't get any closer than this.
Ca'n Vidalet vineyardCa'n Vidalet vineyard
Ca'n Vidalet vineyard

Rustic Pollensa
Port de PollensaPort de Pollensa
Port de Pollensa

Start of the Cala san Vincente walk. Finally worked out how to get there!
En route to Cala san VincenteEn route to Cala san Vincente
En route to Cala san Vincente

Alan guides us through the pass.
Intrepid explorersIntrepid explorers
Intrepid explorers

The heat is the challenge.


8th December 2012

Majorca
Last year I went to Majorca and I loved its beaches, stayed at santa ponsa apartments

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb