chica bonita


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Balearic Islands » Ibiza
June 17th 2008
Published: June 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Chica Bonita is a little three month old black kitten, who at the moment is aggressively pouncing from my lap to the keyboard and back, purrirng violently. As cute as she is, she is being a nuisance. she acts like no one loves her, even though last night she laid curled up next to my head - that is after an hour trying to get me to constantly pet her between her investigations throughout my blankets, jumping on my head, etc. oh, and there are two other identical kittens like her - puma, because she acts like a wild beast at times, and virginia, because as Nacho, from Madrid, explains, she has always acts emo, just like virginia wolfe.

i am livig at one of the weirdest places. it is called falcon blanco, located in the center of a valley in the middle of the island. it is a psuedo eco village/hippie commune/do what you want/spiritual center. basically you show up, chose to become a part of the community and participate in daily activities and chores.

1. hippie communes are extremely over glamourized.
although i love nature, and as camilla puts it, grew up as a 'flower child', i have definately become citified over the last few years. i am quickly learning to ignore the bugs in my adobe igloe-like room, the smells of the enormous compost, my own sweaty self, and trying to relax into a carefree system. it is a challenge. there is no schedule here, simply you do what you want, however you feel like helping out, when you want. i am begining to realize that i can be a very uptight person and am trying to settle down. i keep asking questions, seeking some sort of schedule that must be in place that i havent been told about. the only thing that is stable is that there is a meal sometime late afternoon, then in the evenigns we work with the 'pallets' and then meditation at 9. but even those actitvities are at your choosing.

2. Pallets: those wooden platforms that cargo is packaged on when shipped. go to costco - when toothpaste comes in hundreds of boxes jammed onto a platform- that is a 'pallet'. well, falcon blanco collects the pallets from all of the importers and stores on the island (ibiza has no regulations, so the companies just throw them into a waste pile) brings them to the property, rearranges them into piles 16 pallets high (somehow there are over 26 different styles, why?) and then sells them back to the mainland. in exchange, the stores give us the cargo palllets that are 'damaged', which means when one thing leaks, then all of the goods around it are unsellable. the quantity of things here is ridiculous. lara, i found a box of about 100 milka bars, which means there are probably at least another 49 boxes somewhere around here.

there are about 8 people here, with another guy arriving hopefully tomorrow (he is sailing here on a boat he made...). I work a lot with nacho, who helps me with my spanish and is always laughing, and peter, a wandering american who either chris maggio or lucky from m.a. will be in a few years (reference for ppl who know). then ramon who is the founder, bo, super kind korean woman, a german musican that i have deciced reminds me of golem from lord of the rings, and morris, a huge scottish guy that always talks about beer and loves to drive the tractor.

i keep wondering how i landed in this a place and am now living with such a motley crew. everything feels surreal. the island is beautiful. farms surround the property, resembling exactly what you would picture a spanish meditterran countryside to be. stone walls, olives, almonds, and fruit trees. white houses in the middle of pine forrests.

As a blogger sell-out, i would like to thank all of my now devoted fans. photos will come soon. it is comforting to know that somehow all of our lives are linked together
love
kelsi

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb