The perfect Spanish senorita is ... Brazilian??!?!


Advertisement
Europe » Spain » Asturias
August 23rd 2009
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.3603, -5.84476I really like the pension I've been staying at, Pension Roma - very comfortable and feels homey, kind of like your grandma's house, and the location can't be beat, only steps from all the action in the old town. I said goodbye and was off to the bus station - the first bus to Oviedo was sold out. I should have bought my ticket yesterday, as the later bus ended up... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 0, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

oo
o

Oviedo has a certain charm to it.
qq
q

This may have been city hall.
rr
r

Oviedo's cathedral - you'll notice it seems unbalanced, and it is. There was supposed to be a tower on the other side to match the one on the right, but they ran out of money. I find those white tents distract you from the cathedral. Luckily, after working on the slideshow for John and Nugget's wedding, I've become familiar with photoshopping and can fix that ...
zzzzzz
zzz

... much better, now that those distracting tents are gone.
ss
s

The cathedral is famous for relics like thorns from Christ's crown, a piece of his cross, an apostle's sandal, a piece of bread from the last supper, and a vial of Mary's breast milk. The guidebook suggests this is all quite improbable ... and I tend to agree.
zaza
za

I think this was Plaza de Riego - a nice spot for a drink or coffee, though I did not partake.
zdzd
zd

Map of a stretch of the Camino de Santiago (St. James Trail) - I didn't know Oviedo was even on the trail.
zeze
ze

Pizza and pasta joint - the symbol on the window was very common in Sicily, and is even found on the Sicilian flag. To this day, I have no idea what the three-legged creature represents. If it was three arms, I'd guess it was to symbolize the way to hold all the yummy Italian snacks - pizza in one hand, gelato in the second, and granita in the third.
tt
t

La Gascona, a street of full of sidrerias (cider houses). Asturias is famous for cider production, and drinking it here is a bit of an institution, and something all visitors must do.
zfzf
zf

Asturian cider is non-carbonated, so it's typically served by waiters who hold the bottle way above their head and pour it into a glass down below, to aerate the cider. I've had Asturian cider before, but never have seen it served via an automated dispenser - you put the glass in place, push the button, and a pressurized/aerated jet of cider shoots out.
zgzg
zg

Pote Asturiano - a traditional Asturian stew that was quite salty, with beans, and bad, mushy chorizo, potatoes, tender pork and beef. The hard buns weren't any good, but they were needed to balance the saltiness. There was also morcilla, blood sausage - yuck! You might as well eat a blood clot or scabs, as far as I'm concerned.
zhzh
zh

Greasy fries, and an even greasier fried pork chop, stuffed with cabrales, a strong cheese embedded in the crust. Some veg - lettuce/tomato. As I first read the menu, I thought "Spanish food always looks the same on the menu." In other words, it usually sounds and tastes pretty blah!
zizi
zi

Arroz con leche - it was ok. Not generally a fan of rice pudding, but I tried it because it's also a specialty of the region.



Tot: 0.383s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb