The Roman ruins of Itálica


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia
May 25th 2017
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.4387, -6.03841

Today we went on a road trip to Spain to visit Itálica, the ruins of a Roman city with a remarkable
amphitheater and amazing mosaics. It was a two hour drive, but well worth it.

Italica was the birthplace of three emperors and one of the earliest Roman settlements in Spain, founded in 206 BC. It rose to considerable military importance in the 2nd and 3rd centuries AD. Throughout the Middle Ages, the ruins were used as a source of stone for Seville, but fortunately the amphitheatre has survived, although much of it lies in ruin. With walls eroded by time and steps that have almost completely disappeared, the sheer scale of Italica's amphitheatre instantly gave us insight into how spectators (and gladiators) must have felt when seeing it for the first time. It held more than 25,000 persons, a huge quantity if we consider that the city never kept more than 8,000 souls. It was an amazing feeling wandering through the amphitheater and its many tunnels.

From there we continued on to see the remains of the streets where beautiful villas once stood. The amazingly beautiful mosaic floors are still visible today. Many are complete and of an excellent quality. We were all very impressed with Itálica. Also nearby was the ruins of a roman theatre, but it was unfortunately closed that day.

Then we were back on the road to the spanish city of Huelva. In Huelva was a giant statue that commemorates Christopher Columbus at a point where he first set sail to the New World. Otherwise, we didn't think to highly of Huelva.

On our return to Portugal we stopped in our favourite little town for dinner. We found a nice seafood place near the marina that had delicious food.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb