Arabian sights


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia
September 24th 2022
Published: September 24th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Arabian sights


We’re up early again, though not quite as early as yesterday. Today is forecast to be 29 degrees so we want to attempt to beat the heat.

We take our usual stroll down the steep hill that leads us in to town. It’s pleasantly cool and even more pleasantly tourist-free. I do love being the ‘only tourist in town’. To be honest there are a few other independent travellers milling around but not enough to ruin my photos. :-)

We start off in the cathedral area…which was heaving yesterday, but also impossible to photograph in the bright sun. First there is a pretty fountain with a huge statue above. They haven’t turned the water on yet but I do get some decent shots of the statue. And then some interesting buildings opposite which I didn’t even notice yesterday. Can’t think how we could have missed them!

Now to the cathedral itself. I’m able to get lots of good shots in the early morning light. I’m very aware of a guy who seems to be tailing us though. This is prime pick pocket land. It takes a while but I keep turning round to let him know I have seen him and eventually he goes away. Possibly paranoia but you can’t be too careful in any crowded city, home or abroad!

Now we are heading off into the Muslim Quarter. This takes us up some very narrow cobble streets, all very scenic. here we are totally alone bar the odd local returning from a bit of early morning grocery shopping.

From up here we also have glimpses of the Alhambra through the narrow alley walkways. Meanwhile, on the road, we have just passed under a very narrow archway. There’s cars coming. The first is a smallish car trying to get through a tiny gap…she has just realised the gravity of the situation and is edging through the arch inch by inch. Meanwhile, the taxi behind is busy folding in his side mirrors, obviously an old hand at it!

Now we are dropping down to the River Darro, well what’s left of it anyway! The hot summer has almost dried it up. This is the river that we could see yesterday, looking down from the Alhambra. Today it is someone else’s turn to gaze down on us and we in turn have become the tiny ants below.

The river walk is thankfully shady and there are lots of benches along the way. It’s a really pretty walk. There are some buildings that might be worth a visit. We pop inside one and I exchange some words in broken Spanish. It’s 5 euros each to enter, but pssst, if we come back tomorrow it’s free! That’s because it’s Sunday. the lady hands me a leaflet with the other buildings listed…all free tomorrow except the Alhambra, of course! I give her a massive thumbs up and say we’ll be back tomorrow. muchas gracias!

Now what? It’s only 10.30am. We decide to visit the inside of the cathedral. There’s, a short queue and we cough up our 10 euros and go inside. Our entrance fee is supposed to include an audio guide but it requires scanning a bar code and downloading an app. We have no idea how to do any of this stuff. The staff are not interested, and just point at the poster on the wall which we couldn’t fathom out. They have the cash now so why should they care? A Spanish couple also struggling try to assist but no luck, so we have to do the tour without it.

The cathedral does have a lovely interior with a pretty blue painted dome. All around are highly ornate guilded side chapels…I find the gold a bit heavy but fantastic workmanship all the same.

Now it’s time to head off for lunch. We head back to the river where there are lots of outdoor eating restaurants with large parasols. We pick a shady table right in the middle for maximum protection against the midday sun.

The waiter speaks better English than my broken Spanish so not so much fun interacting with the locals today! We order drinks and a meal - as yesterday we prefer to eat lunchtime rather than wait till 8 or 9pm. Ian has ordered ham, eggs and chips but it’s nothing like we have in England. The ham is the locally cured stuff, and the chips are more like sauté potatoes. It looks lovely - wish I’d had that!

It’s almost siesta time so we pick up fresh bread for tonight’s snack and catch the bus back. We’re used to the route now so know exactly when to press the buzzer. We sail past our hire car…thankfully still in its precarious position on our narrow street. Not a single car has moved since we arrived and we doubt they ever will!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb