Santa Semata in Spain - Easter as it ought to be


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Marbella
March 22nd 2008
Published: June 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Ku Klux Clan this is NOTThe Ku Klux Clan this is NOTThe Ku Klux Clan this is NOT

Traditional Easter celebrations in Marbella. These people are carrying a bier with a replica Virgin Mary. Apparently they are not trying to copy those WASPs from Southern USA, instead their outfits are meant to depict the people from Nazareth.
Well we’re off to France next week so it’s well and truly time I finally publish my Spanish blog.

I was holding off until I could stop the world moving and get a bit of creativity back to do justice to the beautiful Semana Santa (Easter celebrations) we witnessed in Spain. However life in London never seems to slow down long enough for one to catch their breath - let alone the mind space to write something as beautiful as these magical processions deserved. As it is I am writing this with the boys (David & Brendon) watching some programme about thugs in the background - so I hope that the pictures will do justice for the words I can’t find.

Enjoy



Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

CasaresCasares
Casares

A picture-perfect hilltop town, nestling into the cliff about 15 km from the coastal 'town' of Estepona.
Winter in London anyone?Winter in London anyone?
Winter in London anyone?

Brendon's relaxing on the deck of the beautiful penthouse apartment.
casa haciendacasa hacienda
casa hacienda

Brendon relaxing in the cool & airy living room in the apartment.
View from the balconyView from the balcony
View from the balcony

The other direction from the sea.
Locals watch a Nazarenos pass byLocals watch a Nazarenos pass by
Locals watch a Nazarenos pass by

These people in black masks are meant to reperesnt the people from Nazareth. Pretty impressive.
A  penintent carrying his cross. A  penintent carrying his cross.
A penintent carrying his cross.

Now that's what I call 'cross to bear'.
The Virgin MaryThe Virgin Mary
The Virgin Mary

This was awe inspiring. After the silent mourners who had passed before, first we heard a chorus of voices sweetly singing Pie Jesu, then we heard murmers in the crowd and finally this beautiful creation was bourne around the corner.


Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0819s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb