Headwinds and Farewell


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Málaga » Antequera
May 5th 2017
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.0194, -4.56288

Unfortunately weather conditions prevented us riding yesterday. The wind was so strong and gusty that it was too dangerous to attempt the climb up to El Torcal so we had to go with Plan B.

We shuttled up to El Torcal, a high rock formation, passing a couple of cyclists on the way.... our decision not to ride was justified as they were basically going backwards, with the wind pushing them dangerously towards the traffic. We hiked for a couple of hours through the rock formations of El Torcal, with the highlight being a point where we could see the coastline of Morocco on the horizon.

Then we went off to explore the Alcazaba fortress in Antequera which was constructed by the Moors in the 14th century to counter the Christian advance from the north.

Then yet another fantastic tapas lunch and a lazy evening after a visit to the sun drenched indoor pool and spa.

As always... different day, different weather...beautiful sunshine and not a breath of wind...so just ideal for our final opportunity to do a quick ride before leaving - a lovely out and back to Valle de Abdalajis.

Wild poppies were growing in abundance - mostly where the soil wasn't good enough for crops and this made for a stunning pattern of red patchwork on the hillsides. A great finish to an excellent week of cycling, scenery, fine food and company!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



9th May 2017

you're looking exhilerated Nikki..such a graea photo amongst the colourful poppies amidst the wild countryside. Yey!
30th May 2017

DITTO!!!

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb