Isla de Canale, Ayamonte, Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Huelva » Almonte
May 2nd 2014
Published: May 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our day in Ayamonte. We spent the morning trying to figure out how we would be able to get out of town the next day. We had reservations for a place in Portugal that we needed to get to on Saturday.

So the first stop was the reception office for the condo we are staying at. We found out where to leave the keys in the morning (no small task with one person speaking Spanish and one person speaking English). Then she tried to help us with the bus schedule. Her information said that the bus did not stop in Ayamonte on Saturday, only Monday-Friday. Now what?!?!

Next stop was to be the tourist office. They would be able to help us find a way out of town--IF they speak a little bit of English. Since it isn't the high season the tourist office wasn't open. Now what?!?!

By this time we were really sorry we hadn't spent more time learning Spanish. But then we saw a taxi and hoped we could get the driver to understand that we wanted to go to the bus station and see what we could figure out by talking to the ticket agent, again hoping they could speak a little English. José, the driver, spoke excellent English. He was from Ayamonte but had lived three years in Texas. Yippee, he saved the day! He took us to the bus station, read the schedule for us, assured us there was one bus the next day for us to take, and spoke to the ticket agent (who didn't speak any English) so we would get our tickets correctly. Then he took us back to our condo and promised to pick us up the next morning to get us to the bus on time. Thanks to José we were able to enjoy the rest of the day in Ayamonte.

Ayamonte's beach is called Isla de Canale. It was very crowded but we enjoyed taking a walk through the sunbathers. The beach was full of beautiful seashells but I resisted picking them up. I knew I wouldn't want to be carrying them all the way to Germany.

We had a great dinner at one of the beachfront restaurants and then prepared for a short travel day tomorrow.

I think we learned today that learning the language would certainly make life easier. Maybe we should take a Spanish lesson or two.

Advertisement



4th May 2014

TRIP
Nice to hear of your trip. Mom enjoys reading the blogs. Great to hear you are safe and having a great time. My SKYPE is james.hopper23. Thanks for your blogs. We send our love and prayers for you. Jim

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb