Granada, back to another Wonder of the World!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Granada
July 7th 2016
Published: August 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

This is our last stop in Spain...after Granada, it's driving up directly to Madrid in order to take our plane to the North. This is it, 1800km in a single week....temperatures around 35 degrees, not a single drop of rain...and obviously, when not one the road, a lot of cuddles!



For our last stop, we give you Granada. I also came here as a teenager...and trust me, the Alhambra was my first wonder of the world to visit! This time, I've booked the night visit. They only sell 400 of those tickets per night...so it's a good idea to book way ahead. It doesn't even cost much more. The idea is to visit the palace between 10pm and midnight, and to come the next morning to visit the gardens of the Generalife and everything else there is to visit. So we spent well over 5 hours over two days at the Alhambra. I'm not sure I spent that long here as a teenager! For all the technicalities, I invite you to google "Alhambra"...sorry, it was a busy day in Samarkand today! Smile!



My souvenir wasn't of Granada as a huge city. And this being our last stop, I had booked the hotel, booked the visit of the Alhambra, and that was basically it. I thought, well, we'll find the hotel easily once we are there, it's in the Old City. Keep in mind, I tend to have a good sense of direction, and we travel without a gps....and I just had a quick look at the map, early that morning before we drove to Ronda and Jerez! I know!



End result, Granada is way bigger than I ever remembered. We hited the wrong part of the city...and to go from one part of the city to the next while driving...it's a nightmare. On top of this, the Old city is out of limit for cars. They don't really tell you this....they just have cameras all over the place. Good news, once we finally found the hotel, they told me not to worry. They simply had to send an email to the local police to let them know that the lost tourists in that car were staying with them! Welcome to Granada.



We stay at the NH Hesperia. Gorgeous little historic hotel right next to the Cathedral. It was an easy jump on a local bus to the Alhambra too. No long dinner tonight, we are slightly late...yes, it does happen! So we visited the Alhambra, than only went for a drink after. Must have been 2 or 3 am when we felt asleep...and next morning wake-up call was at 7am to visit the second part of the Alhambra. I can only advise the night visit with the Gardens in the morning. It does allow you to do the full visit at a relax pace....if that does exist! You may just have a very short night if you decide to be back at the Alhambra for the opening Smile!



Just before 11am, it was time to pick up the car again, and to return it to Madrid Barajas Airport before 3pm! The lounge in Madrid was more than welcome for a little snack....as our day, was truly far from being over!



I know, this all trip should have been done in two weeks....but we simply did not have two weeks, so we made the best of it! We saw a lot....eat and drink amazing things too...and add just a wonderful time! For the sleeping hour, let say we would do better if we were on a beach somewhere....but that's not for tomorrow either!



Next blog, let's bring some more bubbles in!


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb