Out of Alhambra


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Granada
May 26th 2011
Published: June 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

What we could visit within three hours was very limited. However we decided to head toward the main city centre of Granada, at which most of the daily life spins and bounces back and forth. Having lost our way to Alhambra we intended to reduce our visiting time to two hour in case we might get lost again. Unlike us often people come here well laden with guidebooks, maps and well prepared in advance. An extra an hour will give us some sufficient time to find way back to the coach station which is located good 2 kilometres further down the main road.

We walked down from the gate of Granada and reached the main city centre. To our left the one and only functional Arabic bath is situated right behind Santa Ana. To indulge ourselves in a hot bath is dangerously tempting but it is not timely suitable so we turned back in search of Capilla Real, which is located behind a metal decorative gate.
The Cathedral in Granada was started in 1523 and the first architect was Enrique Egas. The site was where the old mezquita was located. A Good old two hundred years after the cathedral was completed.
Capilla Real is an intriguing Gothic building, an odd mixture of flamboyant and extravaganza. The interior is impressively decorated in gold and silver.
Inside lie the Catholic monarchs Ferdinand & his superior intelligent wife Isabella. (Her superior intelligence was shown by carving her head into a Carrara marble slab). The interior of the Granada Cathedral has a beautiful white and gold finish with bright lights piercing from every corner of the celling.

The crypt contains coffins of the royal family members, but there is no certainty they contain the remains of anyone. Right to the chapel is where the old Madraza is located.

We concluded the trip to Granada by taking a local bus back to the main bus station. Without the help of a local guy, we would have aimlessly walked around in subsequent certainly would have missed the coach to Malaga.



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 98; dbt: 0.1652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb