The Alhambra


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Granada
December 30th 2007
Published: January 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today was our day to go to Granada and tour the Alhambra, one of the most famous places in Spain to visit. Granada was the last vestige of the Moorish influence in Spain and from the 11th to early 16th centuries the Moors built a series of fantastic palaces at the Alhambra, some of which survive today.

Tickets to visit the Alhambra had been sold out in advance (often the case) so we had to purchase tickets through a private company that included a guide. That turned out to be very worthwhile. The guide we had was very knowledgeable, both in history and religion. He spent a lot of time explaining the design and use of the Alhambra from the Muslim point of view. The tour was a little long (2.5 hrs) for Will and Diana, but it was very informative.

We drove back to the Marriott and finished the day by the kids playing outside and Mark and Deb taking a long walk on the beach. At sunset it was possible to see a long silhouette of the African coastline, which was surprising. Evidently, that is only possible in the cooler months when there is no haze.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Larger perspective from fortressLarger perspective from fortress
Larger perspective from fortress

In the hills behind are the caves first inhabited hundreds of years ago by the "Gypsys" which now are some bars and flamenco clubs.
CourtyardCourtyard
Courtyard

The channel in the ground is feeding water to a pool of water under the covering. The Moors use of water rarely was a fountain.
Arabic writing in plasterArabic writing in plaster
Arabic writing in plaster

Most walls are covered with large plaster pieces from forms
Palms must be hardyPalms must be hardy
Palms must be hardy

It was a cold morning when we were in Granada!
Fountains in gardensFountains in gardens
Fountains in gardens

Added later after Catholics controlled Granada
Sierra Nevada MountainsSierra Nevada Mountains
Sierra Nevada Mountains

This picture doesn't really capture how beautiful they were.


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb