Cordoba & the great hike


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Córdoba
September 10th 2006
Published: September 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi all - it´s Jess.
We started day number 3 in Madrid - awake, fed, checked out of our hostel and en route to the Atocha train station just down the road, with the intention of going to Segovia to see the Aquaducts. But when we arrived at the station we discovered that the train heading out was leaving at 4pm and it was after 11am. So we instead decided to head to Cordoba a little earlier than we were planning and come back to Madrid early so we can go out to Segovia on a weekday.
Figuring out the train was actually pretty easy - a lot of the people that we have ran into here speak at least some English, so they are very helpful! We were able to get our tickets, find our way to the platform and be on our way by noon. The ride on the train was very smooth and we arrived in Cordoba in an hour and forty-five minutes. We didn´t have a room booked for the 9th so we set out from the station to find one. When we came out of the station it was very hot and very humid - we found a sign with the temperature on it later on in the day and it said 40, so I can´t imagine what it was then! But we walked for approximately 3 hours to find a hostel, everywhere we tried was full - and I gotta say you sure get hot under those backpacks in the sun! But we did find one eventually a little ways away from the mosque - with a private bathroom and a balcony too, very cute. For the rest of the day we shopped, ate, walked, shopped, took beautiful pictures and sure did find gelato!
Today was much more of a sightseeing day. We got up early to go and see the Mezquita when it opened up and wandered all through it. The red and white arches along with the wonderfully detailed ceilings are sure something to see (I can´t figure out how to put pictures on here, so I will send them when I get back - sorry!). Then we headed directly across the river to a tower and learned about Spanish muslim history, the Alhambra, the Mezquita and looked out over Cordoba from the terrace on top. The rest of the day was just very relaxing, kind of seeing this & that, stopping here & there - it was a wonderful vacation day!
Tomorrow we are taking the train and heading off to Granada - the next leg of the adventure! 😊

Advertisement



11th September 2006

Luv you
Hey kids. Sounds like you are really having fun, even with the heat. We sure appreciate the updates. Don;t waste time trying to figure out how to preview and upload pictures - go out and have fun. So haw many pictures have you taken already with those camera updates? 2000? 3000? 5000!?
11th September 2006

Living vicariously through you both!
Cathy, te falto. Estoy soñando sobre ti. Soy feliz que estás teniendo un buen rato. amor Dustin.
11th September 2006

Your trip sounds like a real adventure. I can hardly wait to see your pictures. Have fun you two.
11th September 2006

Hello Cathy and Jess! Thanks for adding me to your travelblogg. Mum and I are really enjoying hearing about your travels in spain. So glad your enjoying yourselves. Also glad to see you don't have much laugage as my car is only small :) Looking forward to seeing you both. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Helen X
12th September 2006

Jealous much...umm, ya!:)
Hey girls, Sounds like you are having an amazing trip with some great hot weather, wish I was there:) Thinking about you everyday while I am at work. I can't wait to hear all about your trip and see your pictures. Cathy I am going to miss ya at the football game on Friday but I will have a Canadian beer for you as long as you have a drink on a terrace with some amazing view for me:). Keep safe and have lots of amazing and crazy adventures. Can't wait for the next update. Luv Heather

Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb