Cordoba


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Córdoba
October 12th 2009
Published: October 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Saturday morning saw Gaynor and I arriving in the Historic area of Cordoba. This city was used as an enclave for Roman troops because of its strategic importance. (We were able to see some of the roman ruins which are still there.) Early in the eighth century it fell to the Moors.

We began our wander in The Jewish Quarter which has narrow lanes with shops selling everything from beautiful hand painted fans to typical touristy stuff. Apparently Cordoba is famous for its silver jewellery and I've got to say some of the filigreed work we saw was very delicate.

As we walked we could hear someone playing a small pan pipe very loudly and repeatedly as we walked. It turns out he was a traditional knife grinder (on a motor scooter) who was calling people to bring their knives out to him. I saw the same thing again in another town later on but this time he was in a van. Gaynor says it's a bit of a dying trade here though (which isn't suprising really if you consider the price of petrol).

We stumbled across a museum, the Geleria de la Tortura, which displayed medieval torture devices, some of which I'd never seen before. It's incredible the cruel things people can dream up to inflict on their victims.

Next stop was the much more cheery Antigua Mezquita. It is a mosque which was taken over by the Christians after Fernando III's conquest of the city. It was so beautiful that rather than tear it down they decided to expand it and add their own religious symbolism. This is probably a big part of the reason the mosque is still around and today it's a World Heritage Site. It has a range of artistic styles inside because work began in 785 and took nine centuries to complete! It's a very large building with rows and rows of red and white painted arch ways inside. You can tell which section is Moorish and which is Christian because they've hung different types of lanterns. Also in the Moorish section the ceilings are very ornate painted and gilded wood.

Alcazar of the Christian Monarchs is an adjacent building which has very famous gardens (which Gaynor loved!). The building has some interesting Roman mosaics dating from the 2nd and 3rd centuries. I particularly liked the one depicting a tragic
My favourite part of the gardenMy favourite part of the gardenMy favourite part of the garden

In Alcazar of the Christian Monarchs
actor.

The gardens outside are Moorish in design. There were lovely areas of shade under orange trees and surrounded my perfumed shrubs. I especially loved the impressive water gardens which were laid out over three different levels and edged by topiary trees, box hedging and mixed planting. The walkways were decorated with unsual pebbled mosaics.

Later we walked around the walls of the city where there is the old Moorish water wheel Albolafia which is very near the Roman bridge. Sadly we couldn't get too close to the wheel because they were doing road works! In a nearby plaza we sat and enjoyed a free concert by a spanish guitarist playing traditonal music, while we looked across the river.

I definitely reccomend Cordoba as a must see spot! It's got a fantastic atmosphere and so many different styles. Be warned, it can be a bit smelly in August when it's really hot.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Antigua Mezquita Internal 2Antigua Mezquita Internal 2
Antigua Mezquita Internal 2

I love the tiny stained glass windows in some sections of this building.
Antigua Mezquita Internal 3Antigua Mezquita Internal 3
Antigua Mezquita Internal 3

Islamic arch on the right, Christian copy on the left.
The Golden GatewayThe Golden Gateway
The Golden Gateway

Antigua Mezquita
Tragic Actor 3rd century mosaicTragic Actor 3rd century mosaic
Tragic Actor 3rd century mosaic

In Alcazar of the Christian Monarchs
Roman RuinsRoman Ruins
Roman Ruins

In Alcazar of the Christian Monarchs
FountainFountain
Fountain

In Alcazar of the Christian Monarchs. Taken by Gaynor
PondsPonds
Ponds

In Alcazar of the Christian Monarchs
Beautiful windowBeautiful window
Beautiful window

Taken by Gaynor
Moorish Water WheelMoorish Water Wheel
Moorish Water Wheel

Noria de la Alboafia (Moorish Water Wheel). One of the oldest structures in Cordoba.
The Masks of the TorturersThe Masks of the Torturers
The Masks of the Torturers

Masks worn by medieval torturers so their victims didn't know who they were. The small metal thing on the left was a medieval version of a gag.


16th October 2009

Looks like youre having an awesome time hun! spain looks beautiful. cant wait till i get to go too. keep having fun!
18th October 2009

Islamic decoration
I love the Islamic Arch and the lovely ceilings. There is something quite distinctive about Islamic art. (Don really like the red and white everywhere though - too strong) The gardens are lovely too (no surprise Gaynor loves them!!). The torturers masks would also have been to put more fear into their victims as well as to hide their faces. Definitely the ugly side of humankind!
19th October 2009

When are you planning on coming?
24th October 2009

I hope you've liked cordoba, my second home, where I'm studying Medicine..It's beautiful, but it's too hot, don't you think?? :S
25th October 2009

I did like it heaps. Could easily have spent more time there. But yes you're right I did find it a bit hot!

Tot: 0.383s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 84; dbt: 0.1324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb