BACK TO THE OLD WORLD


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Cádiz
April 22nd 2019
Published: April 25th 2019
Edit Blog Post

CRABS IN CADIZCRABS IN CADIZCRABS IN CADIZ

These fancy crabs were carefully displayed to show off their beautiful claws.
After another sea day we arrived in Cadiz, Spain. It is on the Atlantic coast and is one of the oldest cities in Spain in the Andalusia region of the country. As we approached the dock we saw a very familiar sight. The P&O ship Oriana was in port. We sailed on her in 1997 from Great Britain to Honolulu via the Panama Canal. That was our first time thru that feat of engineering. We met some lifelong Australian friends on that cruise and are still in touch with them these many years later.

In Cadiz we decided to take our own walking tour of Cisco Antigua, the old walled quarter of the city. We have been to Cadiz numerous times and we always enjoy strolling the winding alleys and green plazas and visiting the large public market. The array of fruits, vegetables and every kind of fish is amazing. We found some tangerines that in America are called ‘Uglies” because of their rough looking outer skin. But they are my favorites for their deep flavor and easy peeling. What surprised me the most was how cheap everything is. Clothes, restaurants, trinkets, wine all seemed to be priced so reasonably.
P&O ORIANAP&O ORIANAP&O ORIANA

This beautiful vessel was our transportation from London to Honolulu after we journeyed to Egypt in 1996.
We haven’t been to Europe in several years and the Euro has lost some value against the U.S. Dollar. But if the rest of the continent is the same, Europe is quite the travel bargain for Americans.

We had planned to have lunch at our favorite Chinese restaurant in Spain but unfortunately it was closed that day so we settled for some local fare. It may seem funny to have Chinese food in Spain, but they really do it well and after all the wonderful fancy food on the ship it is a nice change of pace. Several of the Asian crew members were disappointed also as they were hungering for a taste of home.

Before we left Cadiz, we had arranged to take our Virtuoso members on a tour of the navigation bridge. The Officer on Watch gave us a rundown on the route we would be taking to Barcelona. He also showed us all the redundant features the ship has for safety, navigation and communications. It is no longer allowed to take pictures on the bridge which is too bad. To me the bridge is like a gigantic cockpit with the radars, autopilots, charts and GPS
CADIZ CADIZ CADIZ

One of the oldest cities in Europe, Cadiz maintains its old world charm.
and sextants. Fascinating!

When we sailed out of Cadiz, Captain Stan gave us our ETA for passing by Gibraltar. As we made our way around the tip of Spain we noticed all the military boat patrols. The Straits of Gibraltar are a heavily traveled route for migrants trying to enter Europe from Africa. Because of the strict shipping lanes in the Straits we were on the Morocco side of the channel but we could still see “The Rock” all lit up and looking very imposing as we passed by.

Fortunately, our last day was at sea, so there was plenty of time for packing and farewells. We arrived in Barcelona on a cool, clear morning just as the sun was rising over the beautiful city.

We had traveled 5218 statute miles (4535 nautical) from Miami to Barcelona from the New World to the Old World over the second largest ocean which covers about 20% of the earth’s surface. The Atlantic Ocean was the first ocean to be crossed by ship and airplane. And that is exactly what we were doing on this trip. Upon arrival in Barcelona we headed to the airport and boarded Norwegian Air for
JOEYJOEYJOEY

Maitre D' on Regent Voyager. We first met him about 13 years ago when he was a waiter.
a non-stop flight to Ft Lauderdale. It took us two weeks to get to Europe and 10 hours to return to the U.S.

We love ocean passages and this cruise was especially nice. The weather, the staff, the ship, the ports and our passengers were all terrific. The sea life is the good life!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

JOEY IN MANILA THIRTEEN YEARS AGOJOEY IN MANILA THIRTEEN YEARS AGO
JOEY IN MANILA THIRTEEN YEARS AGO

Joey kept a running conversation with his wife and children as we sailed out of Manila. We remember his young daughter's plaintive cries from shore, "Daddy--don't go!" Now she is all grown-up.
CATHEDRAL NUEVACATHEDRAL NUEVA
CATHEDRAL NUEVA

One of the largest churches in Spain, it stands out over all of Cadiz.
THE CATHEDRAL ALTARTHE CATHEDRAL ALTAR
THE CATHEDRAL ALTAR

Quite ornate and traditionally Spanish Roman Catholic.
YOUR VIRTUOSO VOYAGES HOSTSYOUR VIRTUOSO VOYAGES HOSTS
YOUR VIRTUOSO VOYAGES HOSTS

Awaiting the arrival of our guests for a reception on the àft deck on a gorgeous sea day.
OLD CADIZOLD CADIZ
OLD CADIZ

Charming back streets like this make Cadiz a walker's paradise.
CADIZ WATERFRONTCADIZ WATERFRONT
CADIZ WATERFRONT

Much of the waterfront is under urban renewal.
VILLA DOORWAYVILLA DOORWAY
VILLA DOORWAY

The old architecture is preserved.
JIM & LAURAJIM & LAURA
JIM & LAURA

From Knoxville, TN.
BIRD BATHBIRD BATH
BIRD BATH

There is a variety of attractive statuary throughout Cadiz.
OLD CADIZOLD CADIZ
OLD CADIZ

It is easy to get lost in the winding passage ways.
JOSHUAJOSHUA
JOSHUA

From Mumbai, India. Josh's smiling face was welcoming us to our suite.
JOE & TERESAJOE & TERESA
JOE & TERESA

This New Jersey couple celebrated their 50th+ wedding anniversary on our cruise.
THE OBSERVATION LOUNGETHE OBSERVATION LOUNGE
THE OBSERVATION LOUNGE

Lovely place to watch a sunrise or sunset.
KEVIN & BETHKEVIN & BETH
KEVIN & BETH

Looking for some shipboard souvenirs.
YASYAS
YAS

One of the largest mega-yachts afloat. She is owned by an Arabian prince.
IT'S A FAMILY AFFAIRIT'S A FAMILY AFFAIR
IT'S A FAMILY AFFAIR

General Manager Anatoli's wife and son joined our ship.
CATHEDRAL NUEVACATHEDRAL NUEVA
CATHEDRAL NUEVA

Overlooking the city of Cadiz.
KLINDYKLINDY
KLINDY

Our faithful stewardess took good care of us on our last cruise and this cruise.
PORT OF BARCELONAPORT OF BARCELONA
PORT OF BARCELONA

We have sailed into this beautiful city many times and she is a site to behold.
PERUVIAN LILLIESPERUVIAN LILLIES
PERUVIAN LILLIES

Susan livens up our home with flowers upon our return.
FLORIDA SUNSET FLORIDA SUNSET
FLORIDA SUNSET

Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home!


25th April 2019

Love your blogs, and keeping up with you both--What is your 2020 schedule? Mary Courim and I are booked on Voyager, March 27-April 27-Tokyo to Bangk
Bangkock--any chance of sailing with you????????????? Much love, Betty
26th April 2019

FREE AUTOCAD BLOCKS OF MULTIPLES FURNITURE
your trips are awesome...
26th April 2019

Thank You!
Nice of you to comment on our blog.
26th April 2019

this very nice blog ni Winter travels topics
this very nice blog ni Winter travels topics.this very nice travel tips and idea for post it is best useful tips in blog.thank for sharing us....
26th April 2019

Amit
Thank you for writing to our travel blog. So glad you enjoyed the story.

Tot: 0.337s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 34; qc: 123; dbt: 0.2143s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb