Living on the Costa - Part 3


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Algeciras
February 12th 2011
Published: February 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Gibraltar


Living on the Costa – Part 3

Thursday 14th January 2011

Gibraltar - A day trip back to blighty ! - well almost …

Using the hire car we took the opportunity to drive down the coast to Gib or ‘The Rock’
It was rather strange having to wait at the frontier for Easy Jet and Monarch to land a couple of jets before we could cross the runway into the territory.

We enjoyed Fish & Chips in the main square and took a walk along the main street where we paused at the Norwich & Peterborough Building Society branch ( where else ? ).

Of interest was the connection with Nelson, those who know me well will know why.
HMS Victory was towed here in 1805 after Nelson’s victory at the battle of Trafalgar with the Admiral’s body preserved in a barrel of rum.
Trafalgar cemetery just outside the town walls and located on Trafalgar Road has two sailors buried there who died from wounds suffered in the battle.
There is a statue of the Admiral under the south bastion see pix.

We took the cable car to the top of the rock where we saw the famous Barbary Apes ( Macaca Sylvanus ) and were able to make out the coast of North Africa across the straits.

Finally we drove to the end of the rock where a lighthouse and mosque sit close with a clear view across the straits.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 70; dbt: 0.1148s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb