Ljubljana in the rain


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia
May 1st 2016
Published: May 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

This morning we visited Ljubljana, the capital of Slovania. It is a city of about 300,000. We had a guided tour of the older part of the city. Much of the city was rebuilt after the 1895 earthquake. A number of buildings that survived the earthquake still stand in the historic part of town. It is remarkable the way they incorporated Roman, medieval, Baroque and Habsburg elements with more modern designs. (When I say modern I mean early 20th century). It is a pretty city and very clean. The Ljubljana river flows through the heart of town with dozens of shops and restaurants on its promenade. Most shops were closed today because it is a national holiday and it is also Sunday. So shopping was limited as only a few stalls on the market and a few stores were open. But we did manage to find a few things. And the rain also dampened our spirits. So our trip to Ljubljana was short, but it is definately a city to visit. I would recommend it to anyone.

Tonight we had diner in a restaurant called Gostilna Lectar in the town of Radovljica Just outside Bled. First we visited the downstairs which is a honeybread museum. Honeybread ressembles gingerbread. They make cookies shaped from molds or cut with a cookie cutters. The craft called lect, is one of the oldest practiced dating back to the 16th century. In those times, these products were highly regarded as meaningful tokens of love. Today, honeybread products are sold as souvenirs. The cookies get very hard and once decorated can last 60+ years.

The dinner was great. First we had mushroom soup (best I ever had) served in a bread bowl, then salad. For the main dish sausage, beef roulade stuffed with plums , potatoes and sauerkraut and of course wine. And for dessert an apple that was hollowed out and stuffed with ice cream.This is a traditional meal of the region. All this was accompanied by traditional slovanian music. Our guide also sang with the band (if you can call 2 men a band) And there was dancing. A good time was has by all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



1st May 2016

Honey bread...
...wouldn't last 60 years in our family. They look good! Nom nom nom
2nd May 2016

Honey bread
If not eaten right away they become very hard, even the next day. But I agree with you they wouldn't last long in our family. One thing I forgot to mention they were made to be able to take on long trips, and in the middle ages it took for ever to get anywhere.

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb