SLOVENIA TO VENICE- EASY, SHORT DRIVE


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia
November 12th 2010
Published: November 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

ONE WAY TO MURANOONE WAY TO MURANOONE WAY TO MURANO

ONLY ONE WAY BUT I'M WITH MY ELYSEE

EXCERPTED FROM OUR SUMMER IN SLOVENIA AVAILABLE ON AMAZON.COM

FOR MORE ON SLOVENIA GO TO: http://oursummerinslovenia.blogspot.com/

Our second day in Venice with our friends the Loves once again confronted us with the worst of summer tourism; crowds, jostling for transportation, waiting on lines to be paraded through antiquities, and price gouging. Once more our hotel, the Metropole, helped by arranging a private water taxi to the world-renowned glass works of Murano. Interesting to see, but wildly overpriced; glassworks that only a dowager Venetian Aunt could take pleasure in. But the boat trip was OK, about thirty minutes with several interesting villas along the route. Unfortunately, the private cost-free boat that takes you right to the dock of the sponsoring glassmaker, does not pick you up for the return. I suppose if you bought enough glass they would be delighted to bring you back. Otherwise you are on public water taxi, Buddy.

With the Palace completely overcrowded we opted for the public museum on the opposite side of San Marco square. The museum turned out to be no more than a pleasant time passer, containing much of the same collected work as in the Doge Palace; but lacking
SAN MARCO SQUARESAN MARCO SQUARESAN MARCO SQUARE

SEEN FROM AN OPEN MUSEUM WINDOW
the same level of explanation or guidance. I did find several windows open to great views of the square and the lagoon, affording some excellent vantage points for taking photographs.

With the Loves gone, the next morning, after a lingering breakfast, we opted to leave Venice and return to the peace and tranquility of Slovenia. Our drive, being almost all by Autoroute (read interstate), returned us in just over two hours to our little Love Nest in Bled. It was such an easy short drive. So if you are in Slovenia and wanting to visit Venice you have the option to pick your date and time of year, its an easy trip. We were both delighted to be back in Bled and vowed to stay put amid the relative peace and quiet of Slovenia, with a round of golf here and there and a countryside day trip now and then during the remainder of August.








Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

CHAR LOVE EN MASQUECHAR LOVE EN MASQUE
CHAR LOVE EN MASQUE

VENICE TRADITION
ELYSEE EN MASQUEELYSEE EN MASQUE
ELYSEE EN MASQUE

VENICE TRADITION
LOVE LEAVINGLOVE LEAVING
LOVE LEAVING

GOING TO THE TRAIN STATION IN HOTEL METROPOLE'S BOAT


Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb