the gem of central Europe


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Ljubljana
September 4th 2006
Published: March 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Took the train from Zagreb, the capital of Croatia to Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia in the morning. Bought the train ticket at the train station just before departure. Wasn't a problem. Found the platform and boarded the train minutes before it pulled away. Shortly moving, the train stopped. It was time for an exit stamp courtesy of the Croatian Customs. We stayed on the train and a custom agent came by to check out and stamp our passports. Then moving again to the no-man's land (between the borders of the two countries) and the train stopped again. This time was more "serious" from the Slovenia Customs. There was even a police K-9 dog accompanied the agents. It was all courteous. We arrived in Vibriant Ljubljana few hours later.

The train station was not too far from the center city and we walked there with our backpack. Found the hostel with free high speed internet access, was right in the center city within walking distance of everything, shops, restaurants, old town, castle. The price was a bit steep but its location can't be beaten. Plus, it is a private hostel and the service was quite excellent (except I was offered a lower bed at check-in, but when I returned my backpack and stuff were moved to a upper bunk, the staff knew I wasn't happy).

The Ljubjanica River run through the city and decorated bridges are connecting places together. The famous Triple Bridge is a landmark of Ljubljana's architecture. The Castle Hill is home of the Ljubliana's castle. By the market place, the Dragon Bridge was one of the first bridges built in Europe in Art Nouveau style, another city landmark.

I was recommended to dine in Sokol restaurant where it serves authentic Slovene food and even brews its own beer with decent prices. I came back and came back a few more times to enjoy the food in this restaurant during my time in Slovenia.

One night during the stay, I took a walk around the prommenate and heard upbeat music was playing. It was an outdoor dancing gathering and it was fun to watch and clap along.

In total, I had a great time enjoying Ljubljana.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 24; qc: 106; dbt: 0.1104s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb