The architecture of Jože Plečnik


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Ljubljana
February 12th 2021
Published: February 12th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com 12th February - The architecture of Jože Plečnik



This renowned pioneer of 20th century modern architecture has had a large-scale effect on Ljubljana, similar to that of Antoni Gaudí in Barcelona.



In Vienna, where he studied, Plečnik designed a number of pioneering works of modern architecture.



Upon returning to Ljubljana in 1921, Plečnik accepted the post of professor at the newly established University of Ljubljana and focused all his creative energies to designing the city.



We started our tour close to Butcher’s bridge looking at the Central Market - the building stretches between the Triple Bridge and the Dragon Bridge, on the right side of the curve of the Ljubljanica River. The 1895 earthquake destroyed an old monastery. After the damaged building was removed, Vodnik Square provided a venue for an outdoor market.



Plečnik believed that the market buildings should be an integral part of the city space, so he designed it according to the classical model. He developed a continuos line of buildings between two bridges, consisting of a pavilion, a pillared row of kiosks and a temple following the river curve.

On
the side overlooking the river the market halls have large semi-circular windows, while the street side is defined by a colonnade.

Plečnik planned to fill the middle gap between the market halls with a covered bridge His plans for a bridge were fulfilled in 2010 when the newly designed Butchers' Bridge was inaugurated.



The riverside was also redesigned, adjacent to the water, a stepped stone edge provides terraced seating areas. Plečnik’s landscape design – most notable here are it’s arrangement of willow trees, they act to create a curtain between the River and the buildings.



The National Library constructed between 1936–41, the windows looked like open books and the Statue of Moses had his hand pointing up to the reading room.

The handles of the main door are the head of Pegasus.



An obelisk stands on French Revolution Square. Napoleon designated Ljubljana the capital of his “Illyrian provinces,” 1809-1816, and the monument is known as the “Illyrian Monument.” It was erected in 1929, 120 years after the establishment of the Illyrian Provinces.



We passed through Congress Square another beautiful place to see here in Ljubljana.



The streets designed by Jože Plečnik took into account the traffic, the green space, the walkway, the buildings with art sculptures too, as can be seen outside the school of music.



I’m enjoying discovering more of Ljubljana.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement








Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb