2 Days in Slovenia


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Ljubljana
July 13th 2018
Published: July 20th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

2 Days in Slovenia


For the past two days we have been traveling to Slovenia and we have been delighted and rewarded by this wonderful country.

For the first day we had pre booked tickets online to do a tour of Postojna Jama (Caves), these are amongst the largest caves in the world and the only ones where you enter via train and then walk around the caves. We found the irony of setting out on overcast day from Trieste, but within 5km of Postojna, the heavens opened up and we had no wet weather gear, not even an umbrella. So we braved it out and ran from the carpark to a Kiosk where the umbrellas were selling like hotcakes. We got to the ticketing line which indicated 30 minute waiting the line. Rose went to find someone to see if we were in the right queue as we had tickets. Glad we checked as 2 minutes later we found the booth for online bookings and no queue.

The cave was huge and after a 1.8km train ride we walked about 2.5km through the cave. You know I mentioned it was raining outside and with recent Thai events, we were happy to know that the river was about 20 meters below and the roof was over 100 meters above us. See the photos of a fantastic cave well maintained and seen by thousands of people per day.

Once we came out of the cave the rain had disappeared and we decided to have lunch there and a hearty bowl of Goulash and polenta seems the logical choice for us.

Down the road 10kms to Predjama Castle where we found a castle build into a cave and what you would have expected from a medieval castle, no windows, sparse furniture, torture room, and a very long drop. There is a great story that goes with this castle, the owner fancied himself as Robin Hood and managed to hold off the military for three years from capturing him, even though he had a secret entrance and was regularly able to go to the next village to get supplies.

On the second day, Rose decided that we would be touring the historic central part of Ljubljana, however when we arrived we found a number of boat tours and went on one before walking the streets and discovering a very enchanting capital. Well all except for bumping into James Hird and family, for those not in Melbourne, he is a disgraced AFL Coach. This is a place we would truly recommend to people going to Europe.

All and all Slovenia was not on our radar originally, but will have to take the prize for the best unplanned experience for this trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



20th July 2018

Slovenia
What a cool unexpected find. Sounds very interesting!!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb