Lake Bohinj


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Bohinj
February 15th 2021
Published: February 15th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com 15th February Bohinj - Slovenia



Bohinj is located in the heart of the Julian Alps. The most extensive and highest mountain range in Slovenia & is also the most south-eastern part of the Alps.

Lake Bohinj is the largest lake in Slovenia.



Despite the thick snow our guide stepped up close to the statue giving tribute to 4 brave men who were the first to climb Mount Triglav.

In 1778 4 brave men from Bohinj were the first to climb Triglav. These were a surgeon, a miner, a hunter & an army surgeon.

The ascent took three days and on 26 August 1778, the four brave men reached its peak. Slovenes were then formally recognized as one of the Alpine nations.



We continued to walk to a wooden jetty on the edge of the lake, still plenty of snow but the views wow, wow!

We stood for sometime in awe of what I suspect is one of the most photographed spots in Bohinj.

A short walk along the shore to view the ancient bridge and St. John the Baptist Church built in the mid-11th century, or
late 10th century. Although the exact date is unknown, it is one of the finest examples of medieval architecture and frescoes in all of Slovenia. Most of the frescoes were painted in 15th and 16th century. It is one of the most photographed churches in Slovenia.

The church wasn’t open but we did see a fresco on the outer walls.

The carved wooden head of St. John the Baptist, dating back to 1380, can be seen on the side altar.

These are also sold as tourist souvenirs.



So this morning I started a tour by the river, this afternoon I’m by a lake but later I’m off to Krakow for my first visit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement





Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 22; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb