Vintgar Gorge


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Bled
September 19th 2017
Published: September 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The predicted rain for today eventuated, and rather than sit in our apartment and mope, we donned our raincoats, warm gear and hiking boots, and headed for Vintgar Gorge. The gorge lies four kms north west of Bled, is 1.6 kms long and was carved out by the Radovna River.



The sheer canyon walls are 50 to 100 mtrs high, whilst the river has many rapids and whirlpools as it gushes through the canyon. With the rain fall over the past few days, the river was really pumping, sending mist up into the gorge. At the end of the gorge is the majestic 13 mtr Sum Falls (literally, 'noisy falls'), the largest river waterfall in Slovenia.



In 1893 the gorge was equipped with wooden observation walkways and bridges, and was opened to the public on August 26, 1893. The stone arch railway bridge that spans the gorge was built for the Bohinj Railway in 1905, and is made of cut stone. It is the largest stone arch railway bridge in Slovenia.



After leaving the gorge, we took a drive to Bohinj, where we enjoyed a steaming hot cup of coffee. It is the largest permanent lake in Slovenia, being 4.2 kms long and 1 km wide at it’s maximum width. In the 18th century it was discovered much more water leaves Lake Bohinj than enters it, which is explained by the inflow of subterranean sources of water.



As we were driving around the lake, we passed a sign for the Vogel Cable Car. Unfortunately, the Vogel Mountain was covered in fog, and it would have been a wasted exercise to take the cable car to the top for the extensive views available (on a sunny day).



The weather is forecast to be clearing tomorrow, so hopefully we can hire a boat and row out to Bled Island.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.598s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.3121s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb