Slovenija: Where the Skjs are Blue, the Vallejs Green & all the Bloody 'Y's are 'J's


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Bled
July 25th 2008
Published: July 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Slovenians suffer from a debilitating swine obsession. Every meal is laced with suspicious mushroom-pink luncheon meat. Pigs trottors, snouts & floor sweepings fashioned into a giant sausage & polished to a reflective sheen. Absolutely disgusting! We've resorted to feasting on imported South Australian canned tuna, corn chips & nutella instead. Us in Sovenia = the picture of health.

On the flip side our budget is finally wearing a smile. So too are our heads as we marvel at the spine tingling scenery of the Julian Alps. We've never seen so many Christmas trees in the one place. Not to mention countless hidden gorges of aquamarine waterfalls & teal pools where stray shafts of sun catch frollicking fish in their spotlights.

We climbed to the Vršic pass along the Russian Road from Kranjška Gora, Slovenia's highest mountain pass with insane views abound. Even more amazing were the cobblestones meticulously hand-laid by 10,000 Russian POWs before an avalanche took out a fair proportion of the team.

3 days relaxing in Bled was pure bliss, swimming in the translucent blue lake, under the gaze of Bled Castle suspended on a dramatic hanging rockface as the church bells tolled from the magical island steeple. This is the stuff fairytales are made of.

Our journey South towards Croatia took us through a handful of mountain villages. We borrowed rusty girls bikes in Kobarid for a 40km return cycle along the cobalt blue Soča River to Tolminska Gorge. Belly laughs errupted upon spotting the Swine-Mobile: a refridgerated truck delivering pig snout delicacies to 1-horse towns along the valley floor. Unsuspecting locals lined up with eager baskets as the Swine-Mobile twanged it's tacky Mr. Whippy-style tune. Someone needs to introduce these people to some real food!





Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



29th July 2008

YUCK!..I'm with you on the Food!
Sounds Gross! I'm with you on the Food. Did you take a jar of vegemite with you! That would have been my longing food, vegemite sandwiches. Keep up the blog...made some comments and am all up to date with your travels. I had a laugh..You both look like you are having fun...Watch out for the bed bugs..hope you don't get them again. Rosanne

Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 99; dbt: 0.1683s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb