Orava Castle and Tatralandia


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Zilina Region » Orava
May 14th 2008
Published: May 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Orava CastleOrava CastleOrava Castle

This is the highest part stuck on this thin piece of rock
Eventually found someone to pay for the night in the campground - we are certainly still in the low season, and headed down the Orava valley. First stop was the village of Podbiel with little wooden houses. Near here we say a stork nesting on a special pole. Elsewhere we have see stork nests on the top of powerpoles! There was a school nearby and in the window amongst the other pictures were pictures of the stork. We drove on heading for Orava Castle. First glimpse is of a knife thin spike of rock with the castle on top. This was by far and away the most castle like of the places we had visited. The whole castle complex was in levels up the rock - with various defensive points along the way, three gates, two tunnels and then a stairway - that in the past would have been a ladder - to the highest points. The tour took us through a succession of rooms - pictures of the various Lords of the castle - one of them was Josef Palffy - who looked a lot like Tom Palfi - I wonder if they are related?
For a complete change of
Orava CastleOrava CastleOrava Castle

Internal Courtyard
pace we finished the day at Tatralandia - this is a large thermal swimming complex - with 6 thermal pools, and several standard type chlorinated pools, and 18 waterslides, plus saunas, and health therapies of various kinds. The thermal water was 38 degrees, and a muddy brown colour, and very nice to relax in.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Orava CastleOrava Castle
Orava Castle

View from the river
StorkStork
Stork

On a specially designed pole
TatralandiaTatralandia
Tatralandia

Lots of waterslides, and hot thermal pools


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb