Greetings from Slovakia


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Trnava Region » Piestany
May 21st 2005
Published: May 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Now I know you guzs are wondering how the hell I ended up in Slovakia. Well I was in Munich and looking for a cheap ride to Vienna and the people at the hostel told us about a place called something like Mitzfahrl-Centrale (thats really not even close to whats its called) and you basically get set up with people going to or near places and you pay the agency and give the person a specified amount. So we paid the 25 euros and met the driver Herbert. This guy turned out to be some awesome Slovakian sho was heading to the town im in now called Plestány. He arranged to hotel for us which costed a little more than expected at nearly 25 euros each per night for me and Austin. But its a pretty decent place and nice to not be in a hostel and a comfortable bed and he said he show us around the town if we wanted and would drop us off in Bratislava on his way back to munich if we wanted. So we decided half way to Vienna that we might as well go to Slovakia, after all why not go? Id have time to still see Vienna, Prague Berlin and Amsterdam so what the hell, lets go to Slovakia.

Today he picked us up from the hotel at around noon, he actually came with his mother too but he showed us all around and brought us to these natural springs, but the place really reeked of sulphur but apparently thats why people go there and they drink this 60 degree celcius water which is about 140 farenheit, but has this strong sulphur taste, supposedlz it has healing properties so we drank 2 glasses.

This town is much different than I was expecting. I pictured Slovakia to be run down and kinda 3rd world, but its not really like that at all. When we firt entered Slovakia, near Bratislava you do immediatelz noticed the ex-soviet style communist housing, very square buildings and they all look the same but most have been abandoned and will be torn down and replaced with more modern and nicer looking buildings.

After the sulphur water springs Herbert took us to this awesome seafood restaurant and treated us all to soup, salad, main course, beer, dessert, and a traditional Slovakian liquor called Slivovica. Probably the best meal ive had over here in europe. We,ve thanked him countless times but he seems to enjoy showing us slovakian culture and really is extremely generous.

Its so random that we,re even here, we were supposed to be in Vienna but somehow ended up here in Plestány, about an hour north of Bratislava. He has to go to Munich tomorrow for work on Monday so hes going to drop us off in Bratislava tomorrow afternoon, probably around 3pm or so.

I just wanted to update you all on whats going on her in europe, i only have about 2 weeks left anyways but its all good, travelling for this long kinda takes a bit out of you, not very good nights of sleep, no great meals, kinda always on the go... but its been awesome so far and been real learning experience to see a country like this from an insiders perspective.

Love and miss you all...



Advertisement



21st May 2005

if it's Saturday, then this must be Slovakia...
Matt, as always, it is great to "hear" from you and get caught up on your journey. I would love to comment on any particular place you visit but b4 I get the opportunity...you are off and in some other country!! Thought I might give you a few key German phrases (so I actually reap some benefit from having studied the language for 4 years) but that's yesterday's news and I can't help you overcoming any Chechoslavakian language barriers...Sorry. Thought I would have more than 20 minutes for the German lesson...anyway keep the news flowing and I hope the local sulphur water causes you no gastrointestinal problems! Love and miss ya! - Dad

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb