Bratislava


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Bratislava Region
September 13th 2017
Published: September 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

I'm so glad this was a tour stop a very small nation with a lot of pride. Standing at the castle our guide told us on a clear day you could see Vienna! Slovakia is surrounded by Austria, Czech Republic and Hungary. It would be a close race for best guide ever on this trip but I might have to pick Monika in Bratislava. I know I keep saying our guides has such passion for history and country but Monika really brought it home. Through the countries we visited the stories were similar in that all guides spoke of the wars, occupation of Communist leaders, what it did to the people and economy. Ever present was the joy in being able to rebuild and restore their countries to there former glory. Monika speaks at least 5 languages, from childhood. Slavic, English, German, Hungarian, Czech. Bratislava was not as big as Vienna or even Prague but Monkia brought the tour bus around to many different neighborhoods, she wanted us to see how the citizens lived, and she also showed us the US Embassy. She talked about the slow economy, lack of industrial growth and unemployment during their occupation. Then came the praises and pride since their freedom and the continuing restoration of Sovakia. She had a lot of knowledge on the current industry and growing economy. One comment she made was that the communist leaders said they would restore the Bratislava Castle and said they did a terrible job. The once they left "we got to do it our way." ""My Mother said the Castle should be our crowning jewel and now it is again." She swept her arm as if presenting the castle to us and add "I want you to see Slovakia through my eyes." We then walked around old town. All these old towns we've seen once had a wall built around them as did Bratislava, she had such a delightful way of translating stories, this was one of our most enjoyable tours. We we're only in Bratislava for a few short hours. We were out the door on tour by 8:30 and back on the ship to set sail for HungarY at 11:30..whirlwind adventures in the Slavic nations!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Outside a RestaurantOutside a Restaurant
Outside a Restaurant

I don't know about you but this makes me want to run in and order!!
Sculpture of man emerging from manholeSculpture of man emerging from manhole
Sculpture of man emerging from manhole

There are 2 theories as to what this means. Monika said he is there to look up ladies skirts. Our Tour Director said you are supposed to rub this head for luck.....


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb