Just Downstream From Bratislava


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Bratislava Region » Bratislava
September 29th 2008
Published: September 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Arriving in BudapestArriving in BudapestArriving in Budapest

Grandma did well scrambling up and down the stairs.
Sat, 28 Sep, about 11:45 PM
We got off yesterday with little incident, getting through Hartsfield with no delays and then making the connection in Prague with about ten minutes to spare. The only glich thus far is that Grandma doesn’t have her suitcase. It clearly took a wrong turn somewhere so now the bag police are out searching for it. We are hopeful it will show up before we leave Budapest tomorrow evening. Grandma is holding up quite well considering the circumstances.

Nothing much happened today because it was spent mostly in just getting here. The boat is moored just down-stream from the parliament building on the Pest (flat) side of the river. Tomorrow AM we go on a bus tour to familiarize us with the city and then we are free in the afternoon.

Time for me to crash. Mom fell asleep with her glasses on so she is really tired. I’ll remove them so she doesn’t crush them. A missing suitcase and broken glasses would not be a good way to start.



Mon, 29 Sep, 10:00 AM
Hi All, Y’all,
This is Mom/Mimi/Kris,
I’m sitting in “the lounge” which, like the rest of the ship, is a richly appointed space with brown leather seats, wood or glass tables, large windows on 3 sides and a brass and glass bar at one end. The carpets are deep red and gold. The color palate is rich and warm but the lines are clean and contemporary so the over all feeling is uncluttered but welcoming and comfortable. Since the ship is so new, it has very little wear on it. The state rooms are roomy enough and we all have sliding doors to the outside of the ship. We have been able to sleep with the door open. River cruising is very quiet and peaceful.

Yesterday our tour of Budapest was sunny and bright. Crisp air and blue skies made for perfect touring weather. Apparently the weather for the last 2 weeks has been cold and rainy. As PopPop always said, the best time to travel in Europe is late September. Father knows best yet again.

I’ll sign off. We are about to hear a lecture on the Hapsburg Empress, Elizabeth. We arrive in Bratislava, Slovakia around lunch time. After dining on the ship, we’ll take a walking tour of the city.

I
The Founding DudesThe Founding DudesThe Founding Dudes

Some of Hungary's founding fathers, complete with fashionably long hair.
tried my cell phone last night and was able to reach Jason and Clara just by adding the US country code to their area code and phone number. I don’t know how you reach us tho - I can suggest you just try my cell number. If that doesn’t work try adding a country code. We will be in Austria tomorrow and then about a week in Germany. I’ll let Dad add the photos and write again more later. Love you all.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Fisherman's BastionFisherman's Bastion
Fisherman's Bastion

Buda side of the river looking down into Pest
Tile RoofTile Roof
Tile Roof

Back in the land of fancy tile roofs.


29th September 2008

poor gigi
oh no - no suitcase. that's not good. hope they get it to you soon. can you post pix of the boat? I'm curious what it looks like. sorry i missed the phone call, but glad you reached j and clara. :)
2nd October 2008

Grandma Has Her Luggage
All is well. Grandma's luggage arrived late the night we arrived. I will try to get some pictures of the boat.

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb