Serbia, Mokra Gora, April 2005


Advertisement
Europe » Serbia » West » Uzice
October 19th 2009
Published: October 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

In April 2005 Joca and I went to Mokra Gora over weekend. Close to the border with Bosnia and Herzegovina, this mountain if famous for the Šargan Eight (Serbian: Шарганска осмица), a narrow heritage scenic railway, running from the village of Mokra Gora to Šargan Vitasi station. It was build after the World War I as part of the line Belgrade-Sarajevo. The climb over the mountain was an engineering masterpiece: from Uzice to the summit the height difference was 240 metres; it was 3.5 km direct line but by rail it was 15.4 km; the average gradient was 18% and there were 20 tunnels. Steam trains are the main attraction but we preferred to walk. We visited locations where Kusturica’s 2004 film “Life is a miracle” was made.

There is a small hotel “Mokra Gora”, where we stayed but there is also accommodation in the beautifully positioned Mecavnik- Ethno Village built by the film director Emir Kusturica. There is also a souvenir store, gallery, cinema and cafe - quite expensive and artificial, but convenient when you get tired of authentic nature.

The highlight was when we witnessed delivery of two lambs, when a proud granny in “Puma” jacket brought them and asked us to take a picture and send her. The address was simply “Krsto Glibetic, Mokra Gora”.
Just around the band is the Mehmed Paša Sokolović Bridge in Višegrad, across the Drina River in eastern Bosnia and Herzegovina, was completed in 1577 by the Turks. The bridge is now widely known because of the book The Bridge on the Drina written by Ivo Andrić, Nobel prize winning author.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Hotel we staid inHotel we staid in
Hotel we staid in

Rather cozy and cheep
MecavnikMecavnik
Mecavnik

Ethnic village build by Emir Kusturica
Car shell on rail tracksCar shell on rail tracks
Car shell on rail tracks

From the film "Life is a miracle"
Golubici train stationGolubici train station
Golubici train station

From the film "Life is a miracle"


Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb