Belgrade: Serbia's beautiful capital


Advertisement
Europe » Serbia » West » Belgrade
April 8th 2015
Published: April 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Belgrade, Serbia


Many cities in the world have gone through difficult times in various periods of time, but very few still bear visible scars like Belgrade. There are also not that many places where historical layers interact with the landscape in such a beautiful way. Built on a strategic location it has served as a border town between two confronted cultures: Ottoman and Habsburg (Austro-Hungarian) for more than three centuries. Some would argue that this duality is still present in the mentality of its inhabitants.

Urbanism

Topography conditions the form and urban grid of Belgrade. In the middle of the city two large rivers, Danube and Sava, meet each other and divide it in three parts. The largest portion of the city is located on the southeastern bank, where Old Belgrade lies. The other parts include the southwestern bank with old Zemun and New Belgrade, and the northern bank with minor settlements. Bridges connect them, probably not enough as needed since their construction is quite costly due to the width of both rivers. Main avenues follow the direction of the E75 freeway which is parallel to the direction of the Danube River.

You may view the whole text here: http://happyfrogtravels.com/white-city-belgrade-serbia/


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb