Day 4 - Barcelona City Tour (Bus)


Advertisement
San Marino's flag
Europe » San Marino
September 16th 2009
Published: September 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We now have our own stroller and decided to do the hop on hop off tour...yes we should have done this the day our stroller was lost. We walked to the Placa Catalunya to buy our tickets and board the bus. As we were at the ticket counter I pointed the very black rain clouds up above. We shrugged it off the proceeded to the top of the double decker convertible bus. We got off at the 1st stop, the Barri Gotic or Gothic Church. As we stepped off the bus the rain began to come down on us...sprinkling at first. We took cover under an office buildings overhang. Then it started to rain, and the second that happened there were magically men selling cheap crappy umbrellas EVERYWHERE for 5 euro. Brian bought one for me and we maneuvered under the overhangs to get a straight on view of the church...it is now POURING SHEETS of rain! Brian bought an umbrella for himself from another umbrella salesman. At this point umbrella or no umbrella we are getting soaking wet and run back to the bus stop to catch the next bus. When the bus came, all the people that had been on the top convertible deck have moved to the bottom and the bus was full. We decided to take cover in the entryway to the office building to regroup and attempt to dry off. Jake was soaking wet, as we did not bring the stroller's rain cover. We decided to catch a cab and take it back to the hotel since we were all soaked.

When we got back to the hotel, I decided to take a break while Jake napped and Brian went venturing out on his own. We went back to the Cerverceria Cataluyna to have lunch. By the time he got back, the rain had stopped and we decided to walk the 9 blocks to the Sagrada Familia Church. It was a nice walk and a great way to see the city. Never mind that it was "siesta time" and EVERY store was closed. Nonetheless, it was a nice walk. The Sagrada Familia has been under construction for over the last 100 years, They started construction in 1892. It is covered in scaffolding inside and out. Gaudi and some imagination and vision to create these crazy buildings!!! **See photos**

When were were done touring The Sagrada Familia, we hopped back on our tour bus and rode it back to our hotel. There is a stop one block down because we are so close to Casa Mila! As were were approaching our stop it started raining...damn Murphy's Law!!! Not just raining...it is DUMPING BUCKETS! We got more wet in one block than we did before. There were streams in the street and everyone on the sidewalks had taken cover...but we were so close to our hotel, that we went for it. It was like it wadded in a pool up to my thighs!!! I was SOAKED once again. Jake on the other hand was warm, cozy, & dry in the Baby Bjorn and covered in Brian's oversized jacket.

We got back to the hotel and Brian stood in the bathroom for 30+ minutes drying our running shoes with the hair dryer!!!

We dried off and got ourselves ready for dinner...Italian tonight at a recommended restaurant called "Made in Italy". We took the Metro down to the Barri Gotic (Brian can't pronounce this...he keeps saying Barbara Gothic) area near the end of La Rambla and had a fantastic authentic Italian meal. Italian food is WAY better than tapas in my book! I had spinach and ricotta cheese ravioli's in a sage butter sauce and tiramisu for dessert...it was just like I was on my Italian honeymoon all over again. We plan to come back for the pizza another night...the guys behind us were eating it and it looked awesome!

We took the Metro back to the hotel and called it a night!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

The Sagrada Familia at CompletionThe Sagrada Familia at Completion
The Sagrada Familia at Completion

They are still building the church and the future towers will be 50% higher than what is existing now.


Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0945s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb