Russia


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Siberia » Lake Baikal
June 29th 2007
Published: June 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

the Vodkatrain crew in St. Petersburg at the navy basethe Vodkatrain crew in St. Petersburg at the navy basethe Vodkatrain crew in St. Petersburg at the navy base

l-r: Roddy, Catherine, Lee, Ruth, Joe, Paul, Fin, Peter.
Have been away from civilisation for a while so no chance to update on the Trans-Siberian Express before now. Am currently in Irkutsk, awaiting tonight's train to Mongolia.

Just spent the last two days at Lake Baikal which was bliss - so good to get out of all the cities I've been in for the past 7 (i think) weeks. Went for a brief dip in the lake (fookin freezing!!), had a russian sauna, went sightseeing around lake baikal, played frisbee and a quiet drink or two before bed.

Not much time to update about St. Petersburg, Moscow or the three day train trip to Siberia. Needless to say it's been a great trip so far - travelling with a very cool group (especially in comparison to the "Others" - the Vodkatrain group we met in Baikal going the other way!!) - four Irish people (we're taking over the world!) - me, Paul, Ruth and Kat, three English lads - Joe, Lee and Peter and one (goddamn) american Finley. We've had really cool honchos (guides) at each stop too who we've christened with "western names" to avoid confusion: Igor (aka St. Petersburg Dave), Natasha (aka Moscow Sally) and Costya (aka Lake BaikAlan) - they know all the best things to see and do in their towns so we just sit back and are entertained - great way to travel.

The train journey was great - three days and four nights on the move, surviving on a diet of pot noodles, beer and vodka. We ended up pissing off the provonista (carraige attendants), train police and most of the passengers, but there's little else to do but drink and be merry, and passing through five time zones really messed us up.

Struggling to add photos on this computer (everything's in Russian!) so will try to post them when i get a chance but as i'm getting farther away from Europe and English (or even latin character keyboards) it could be tricky. For now check out Joe's blog of the tour which he updates daily:

http://nomorevodkaplease.blogspot.com/



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

the Commodore on board the Vodkatrainthe Commodore on board the Vodkatrain
the Commodore on board the Vodkatrain

and no, i'm not drunk here....


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb