A 2,500 km hitch hiking adventure begins


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
October 10th 2010
Published: October 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

With nothing on the near term horizon following an awesome 3.5 months snowboarding in the Australian Alps (yes Australia does have snow) I decide to join my boyfriend Jack traveling through Australia.

The intended route: Cairns to Melbourne

The actual route: Cape tribulation to Sydney or 2,500 km

The time frame: open ended, but around 3 months expected

Actual time frame: 2.5 months

Hitch hiking.

We fly into Cairns and with the help if Jack's bible or the Footprints guide to East Coast of Australia we find a nice little back packers to make our home for the next couple of nights. It's my first time in a hostel in Australia and it feels strange to not meet a group of random Aussies throughout the place. The trick to meeting Australians if one do wishes whilst traveling - just check into one of your top rated hostels of www.hostelworld.com in London, Paris and Amsterdam.

Want to meet Germans, English or Dutch travellers?

Reverse the above formula, however substitute Sydney, Cairns and Gold Coast as the destination.

Cairns I find is a great place to party and meet people as a backpacker. Other than lounging in the man made lagoon I quickly discover that the good stuff lies outside of Cairns.

So our second day in northern QLD is spent testing our thumbs to get to Ellis Beach and Baron Gorge. The day proves successful and before we know it we are lying on gorgeous Ellis Beach and exploring the dam nearby.

Whilst Jack commences his open water diving course I decide to explore the outskirts of Cairns.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb