Cathedral of Jesus Christ Savior on Blood- 1- April- 2011


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
July 27th 2011
Published: July 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Saint Peters-burg- Christ the Savior Chatedral


This Cathedral was made by the Architects, Alfred Parland and Ignacio Malishev between 1883-1907. They used the same shapes and procedures from the Saint Basil's Temple (Moscow), which was the national symbol those times in Russia.
The shape of the base of the Cathedral was imagined like the petals of a flower by the Father Ignacio, also he proposed the Name.
They got a very hard objective, the place where was assassinated The Tsar Alexander II, should be part of the Cathedral. So they made a small mini temple where is the exactly point of the execution of Alexander II by the terrorist Grinevitski. Its a beautiful place and have the inscription of what exactly happened there in many languages, this mini temple was installed in 1907.
When you look up inside the Cathedral, you can see a amazing Mosaic made by Nikolai Jarlamov, named "Pantocrato Christ", and everywhere you can see lots and lots of beautiful mosaics, the experience inside is captivating.
This temple doesn't have a central entrance like a normal church, it have two atriums with one entrance each one, the total surface of the the Cathedral is 1642 m^2 and the height is 81 m.
The decoration inside is simply Great, it have more than 308 mosaics, which make a surface of 6560 m^2, this amazing decoration doesn't have a similar in the world, into the Cathedral you cannot see any painting, everything is made by mosaics.
Most of the mosaics were made in nationals workshops, but some were brought from other countries, there worked more than 25 painters. Victor Vasnetsov made -"The savior" and "The Madonna with the kid" -, Nikolai Jarlamov made more than 42 mosaics.
During the Russian Revolution and the Siege of Leningrad, the Cathedral was looted and almost totally destroy, just in 1970 the Cathedral passed to hands of The Saint Issac's Cathedral Managers, and during 27 years it was restored, and re-opened in 1997.
Right now the Cathedral doesn't works like a Full-time church, its more a museum.
Its one of the principal touristic places in this wonderful city, i went there after i arrived to the city by plane, even with my baggage, but the effort was worth for me because i enjoyed this place a lot, i hope you can visit it and enjoy it too.




Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb