St Petersburg


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
March 24th 2011
Published: March 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mother Russia, land of oil billionaires, corruption and vodka. We've been quite excited at the prospect of visiting this vast land, not least for the epic journey involved in travelling to the Far East but for the sights of European Russia as well, which is why we chose St. Petersburg as our entry point rather than going straight to Moscow.

The Estonian/Russian border crossing was far less hassle than I anticipated especially considering the bureaucracy involved with getting the visa in the first place. It only took about an hour for the bus to stop, offload all passengers and bags and then pass through immigration, which was quicker than a lot of other border crossings we've encountered. We then drove for a few more hours before we reached St Petersburg.

Due to the time difference (+1hr) the bus didn't reach the station till 22.15, and as we didn't want be wandering around an unknown city at that time we'd figure we'd grab a taxi to our hostel. The first price we got from a driver was ridiculous and after some negotiation we still couldn't manage to get the price down to something more reasonable so gave up, opting instead to try the metro. It was more hassle but it was only 25 roubles each and was quick and efficient so totally worth it. Once we reached our metro stop on Nevsky Prospekt we then did the usual thing of wandering around with a map looking confused till we found our place. We instantly warmed to St Petersburg, the metro was great, we walked past some incredibly beautiful monuments while looking for our hostel and we didn't feel unsafe at all, even though we were wandering round the streets close to midnight without any real idea where we were going. A man wearing a bright red cape pretending to be superman even helped Faye carry one of the pushchairs up the metro steps.

Our hostel was ideally located close to all the main sights and only a few minutes walk to the winter palace so on our first day in the city we took a walking tour outlined in the guide book. It started at the majestic St Isaac's cathedral with a huge glittering golden dome that dominates the city skyline and then took us through to Dvortsovaya pl (Palace Square), an incredibly impressive space virtually enclosed by the magnificent Winter Palace and the equally impressive General Staff Building. After a bit of meandering around some canals the walk then brought us to the feet of the Church of the Saviour on Spilled Blood.

This church, in the Moscow style is simply spectacular with its various multicoloured domes dotted around and the inside was also incredibly beautiful with over 7000 sq meters of mosaics covering every surface. Mosaics so detailed that from a distance (and in photos) they appear to be paintings. They were breathtakingly beautiful and well worth the entrance fee.

The walk ended at the grand sweeping pillars of the Kazan Cathedral, an incredibly large working cathedral which was one of the buildings that welcomed us out of the metro the night before when we were looking for our hostel.

Our second day in the city was concerned mainly with the State Hermitage Museum. This museum mainly set in the winter palace houses an expansive art collection all wrapped up within the incredible splendour of the palace itself. It was a bit pricy (but so is everything in this country) and we weren't sure we'd be able to fully appreciate it with the boys as they might get bored really quickly but they were just as happy to stroll around and take in the impressive spaces as we were. Personally I was less concerned with the art and more with the ornate palace but that's just my taste. We spent a few hours in the museum and left suitably impressed so again it was well worth the entrance fee.

Our final day, before we caught an overnight train to Moscow, was spent walking over the Neva River to the Peter and Paul fortress, which after everything else we'd seen in the city completely failed to impress. It was worth walking though as it gave some impressive panoramic views while crossing the river.

We left St. Petersburg with some great first impressions of Russia. The walk we took was a great way to take in the scale, colour and grandeur of the city's architecture and it only confirmed what we'd come to think when we first turned up late at night. St. Petersburg is amazing; a seriously beautiful city that’s charm was easy to fall in love with.

Roll on Moscow; you've got an impressive act to follow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The Church of our Saviour on Spilled BloodThe Church of our Saviour on Spilled Blood
The Church of our Saviour on Spilled Blood

7000 square meters of Mosaic
The State Hermitage MuseumThe State Hermitage Museum
The State Hermitage Museum

Crouching Boy by Michelangelo
The State Hermitage MuseumThe State Hermitage Museum
The State Hermitage Museum

The face I pull regularly...."HOW MUCH????"


31st March 2011

Simply staggering photos, thanks for sharing :) On my many visits to St Petersburg I've never managed to capture the city's beauty in the way you have - massive thumbs up! Am also headed for the Russian Far East tomorrow, Kamchatka in fact, will be there for 10 days...
31st March 2011

piccies
Excellent pictures. seems like the boys are enjoying themselves. good write up. love to you all. Dad and Mum
31st March 2011
The Church of our Saviour on Spilled Blood

Lovely building
This is my kind of building.. beautiful colours and looks even better with the twilight sky backdrop.
1st April 2011

Crouching Boy, yeah!
Gee, thanks so much for all these pics. Have been to Russia but I was a total failure in photography. My fav at the Hermitage Museum is the Crouching Boy and I soooo love your photo of this masterpiece! You have to share with us your secret in taking these lovely photos. I am pretty sure it isn't just your camera as you have always composed your photos in such a way that the colors are so vivid and heavy with some sentimentality I just can't put a finger to. These photos are way better than those taken by pros and those postcards!
1st April 2011

Excellent
Very beautiful photos. EdVallance, Edward, we wish you successful traveling on one of the most surprising places in Russia, Kamchatka. Be mandatory bought in Geysers.
5th April 2011

Wonderful images. Great HDR technique!!
7th April 2011

Yet again M. another great blog.xx
8th April 2011

fab photos
just peeked at your st p blog ..... sounds great place and oh wow your photo's are amazing !!!!!! what kind of camera are you using ??? i'm due a new one and i'd love to have pics like yours ;) youre prob going to tell me your a professional photographer, but i thought it was worth a shot thanks and looking forward to reading more in moscow karen
10th April 2011

Fantastic photos every time;-)
8th August 2011

St Petersburg
I had a heck of a time finding my hostel. It was behind a locked door with no number and one flight up. But it was on Nevsky Prospekt! I was overcharged for a snug little room with a bed. I couldn't get over how unhelpful the Russians are. The waitresses were sullen. But the people were so good looking! Everyone looked like they were hurrying to a photo shoot. I loved the walk across the various bridges and those light-houses are so weird. I hope you saw the four horsemen statues on the small bridge. My Nevsky Prospekt page = http://magazinestylebeauty.com/?page_id=230

Tot: 0.324s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 26; qc: 104; dbt: 0.152s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb