St Petersburg - the start of our cruise.


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
September 4th 2010
Published: September 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Friday 3rd September 2010

On our last night in Hong Kong, due to the general tiredness of all, the swelling in Judy's legs and David having issues to sort out at work we altered our plans for dinner and stayed in, enjoying a good meal, good wine and company.

After a reasonably early night we were up just after 6am, packed, breakfasted and ready to leave. We both enjoyed our time with David and Carmel and look forward to reciprocating their hospitality in the near future.

David dropped us off at the bus station, we caught the airport bus and so the drudgery of a long flight started.

The Aeroflot plane was nothing like we were led to believe, instead it was a new plane, we had a bulkhead seat with stacks of legroom, and even the food wasn't bad. The 10 or so hours to Moscow passed, we had about 2 hours to get through immigration, walk to the domestic terminal where we checked in, drew out some Russian Rubles from the ATM with only a little difficulty, and still have time for a beer before our flight.

We arrived in St Petersburg and by
The impressive Hermitage MuseumThe impressive Hermitage MuseumThe impressive Hermitage Museum

This was the first impressive building we saw because our hotel was right next to it!
9pm had our luggage and were in a car with our driver, Victor. An hour later saw us in the city, in a dark alley with rain drizzling down, outside what looked like a building being renovated or demolished! On entering the Nevsky 3 hotel we were met by a smiling lady in a warm, tiled, spotlessly clean foyer. The room itself was similar, all modern and clean. This seemed to be the norm for all places we saw in St Petersburg, even the shops, all had their old facades in keeping with the area but were modern inside.

Saturday 4th September 2010

Wonderful what a good night's sleep and a good breakfast can do! Both of us felt ready to explore so on with our Gortex jackets and off we went. About 200m from the room we looked at each other, turned around and made our way back to the room for warmer clothing. The wind was bitter and it stung our faces and made both of us wish we had brought more cold weather gear.

We warmed up walking around the area, not spending a lot of time at the sites as we will probably return with the conducted tour we get with the cruise ship. The place is quite spectacular with the palaces, cathedrals, museums, and other old buildings, Judy summing it up when she described it as 'decaying elegance'.

Window shopping was at a minimum as very few had displays, and as we couldn't read the Russian writing that told us what was being sold behind the wall. We did find a cafe however and had a meal of pink salmon and chips. Great fish, the chips rather stodgy and thickly covered in oil.

As the English speaking receptionist had left when we returned to the hotel for our luggage, we took our gear downstairs to the Souvenir Shop, a city guide Judy had read saying the owners were fluent in English and very helpful. After purchasing the obligatory set of ear-rings, Judy asked for directions from the helpful, young man who served us. He gave the name of the wharf we had to go to, then rang a taxi for us. Very helpful indeed!

Thirty minutes later we were deposited outside a hotel and assured by the driver this was where we had to go, before he disappeared. Rags
Lots of impressive buildingsLots of impressive buildingsLots of impressive buildings

Thanks to Sharon for reminding us that this is the Stock Market building!
went inside to check and of course it was not the right place. Luckily the lady behind the counter could not only speak English but she was prepared to help as well. Several phone calls later, including to the after hours number of our agent in St Petersberg, showed that we had gone in the opposite direction to the river terminus where we needed to be.

We then endured over an hour of taxi driving reminiscent of taxi drivers in Asia, before being dropped off outside a harbour dock with several cruise ships moored there. Eventually we found our ship, not easily, as it only had the name written in small letters above the gangway.

Our cabin is quite pleasant and nicely set up with plenty of storage space. I guess we are a little spoilt as our caravan is larger! Nevertheless, after unpacking and taking a quick tour of the ship, we felt at home. Following the security guard's directions we found a local supermarket where we bought some drinks including a bottle of Vodka for the princely sum of 104 rubles. This equates to about A$4, and is double what it used to cost as the
the ferry to Peterhofthe ferry to Peterhofthe ferry to Peterhof

We chose to take this fast ferry to Peterhof rather than the tour bus.
government here has doubled the price to combat alcoholism! As dinner was not until 8pm we tested the quality of the vodka and found it helped us have a pre-dinner nap.

Dinner was at set tables, we sharing with 2 sisters from the USA on their way to Lithuania for work. A chicken soup was followed by a plate of tough chicken in a cream sauce on a bed of rice, dessert being sponge cake, cream and ice-cream. This was washed down by a Bavarian red we definitely won't buy again. Neither of us are fussy eaters, but we weren't overly impressed.




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Aboukir Grand BridgeAboukir Grand Bridge
Aboukir Grand Bridge

Our cruise boat was moored near here.
Peter and Paul FortressPeter and Paul Fortress
Peter and Paul Fortress

Some of the impressive ceiling art work at this fortress.
The Cathedral of Christ's ResurrectionThe Cathedral of Christ's Resurrection
The Cathedral of Christ's Resurrection

This stunning cathedral is commonly called Church of the Saviour on the Spilt Blood
Judy looking at souvenirsJudy looking at souvenirs
Judy looking at souvenirs

We looked a lot (or rather Judy did) but we didn't buy much!
Moscow HotelMoscow Hotel
Moscow Hotel

We found this bear after our buffet lunch at the Moscow Hotel. (on St Petersburg)
Frescoed hall in The HermitageFrescoed hall in The Hermitage
Frescoed hall in The Hermitage

you can see the tours tiredly trudging through here.


15th September 2010

Great photos.
Loved looking at the photos. I feel sure the Tour Guide would have taken you to the "tried and true " touristy places. But it's always the places they don't take you to that are most intersting !! Nice photo of you both with the bear. I would have been interested in the little Touristy Shops along with you Judy !! Were clothes cheap ? Bye from sunny Perth where the present temp. is 22degs. Looking forward to your next entry. Love Mum
15th September 2010

great Vodka prices
Hi guys Shame about the food and the cold weather. Great sites and vodka though!! Sandy
17th September 2010

Hi Judy and Rags, It is nice to see and to read your travel blog. Special when it comes to Russia where I used to live for quiet a long time. Petersburg has chanced a lot as it appears from your nice photographs. Enjoy your next course. Hans Weggelaar
17th September 2010

comment on photo
The picture you are missing a caption for is the Stock Market building which was behind the two red rostral columns on the point of land where the two rivers joined.
22nd September 2010

St Petersberg
Lots of memories = some of rain - some of cold - some of lots of walking and taxi drivers who don't know where they are going but are willing to let you share the costs!! Love Lucy and Roman

Tot: 0.594s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 29; qc: 128; dbt: 0.1918s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb