RUSSIA: The Doll & the Egg (or what happens if you don't look before you leap)


Advertisement
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
December 30th 2019
Published: December 30th 2019
Edit Blog Post

There were 600 palaces in St Petersburg before the Russian Revolution but only members of the Russian Royal family lived in them. The Tsars had heaps of children and it was only right that each had their own palace. There were also 870 Aristocratic families in St Petersburg before the Russian Revolution. They were not Royals and did not live in palaces but lived in mansions. That's what we were... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

























30th December 2019

At least you were not the last person on the bus!
And you have a great story to tell about a Russian doll...the stacking kind.
30th December 2019

At least you were not the last person on the bus!
The Russian doll smiling at me daily ensures my memories of the Faberge Museum and the story how I got her will never fade. The twists and turns is what makes it so much fun travelling as you know Bob. It is how we handle them that makes the man. Reminds me how you twisted your ankle on day one of your Camino walk and you kept going. I guess that event means of the zillions of travels you have done the Camino will remain with you forever. Somewhat less significant but the doll has done that for me. And as you know I love a good story.
1st January 2020

Faberge Eggs and Nesting Dolls
Great photos of the Faberge Eggs and the explained history of each! I remember seeing a small exhibit of some in London decades ago as I recall and they were fabulous. Sometimes I think the souvenirs you buy in haste (having to rush back to the bus or your ship) turn out to be some of the best and most memorable just like your Matryoshka Doll! One of my favorite souvenirs is a set of 3 carved stone animals (llama, vicuna & alpaca) a woman from Peru begged me to buy as I was rushing onto the bus!
2nd January 2020

Faberge Eggs and Nesting Dolls
I agree that (sometimes) the souvenirs you buy in haste turn out to be some of the best and most memorable, but it got me to thinking and I have added the word "sometimes". I have bought the most unbelievable crap but also items I treasure. There are some that I pondered on price or portability and always regret I did not buy. I can think of one in China and one in Armenia that will ever haunt me for not just grabbing and running. Yet there is this Matryoshka Doll that under any other circumstances there is no way I would have bought but did so, and as a result I treasure her. Food for thought for sure.
2nd January 2020
Rosebud Egg 1895

Delicate
Amazing
2nd January 2020
Rosebud Egg 1895

Delicate & Amazing
I have added some descriptions of the eggs, MJ, as the Faberge Eggs are not colourful cardboard cutouts but works of art lavished with exquisite finishes including myriads of diamonds and other gems. I would love to know the Invoice costs to the Tsars. To us mere mortals a fortune no doubt...but to the Tsars...small change maybe!!!
2nd January 2020
The World's most expensive Doll

$$$
Amazing artistry.
2nd January 2020
The World's most expensive Doll

$$$ Amazing artistry.
I dare not divulge the actual price but I have given enough clues it was not insignificant and blew both Denise and I away! The photo though amazing artistry, does not do it justice. As it is so shiny, I had to photograph it in a covered area to avoid reflections and have not shown the exquisite detail on the back which is different for each of them. I have shown a taste of some of the paintings in the book which are superb...definitely ten bucks well spent. My favourite pics are of Denise's eggs at the end of the blog which capture them nicely, and of her purchase she is rightly pleased.
2nd January 2020

Russia
Thank you for taking us along and showing us all of this amazing art. And and adventure in spending. Yikes! These items are unique and priceless...
2nd January 2020

Russia
If this comment is from you MJ, I have experienced your prolonged ponderings when buying gems in Honduras and Armenia that make my rushed extravagance somewhat ill advised. But when the result is unique and priceless, like yours and mine, who am I to complain? I gotta say the adventure in spending for my enormous doll is a story I will retain forever, and that of itself makes her priceless. Beats Dave's fridge magnets! Thanks for joining the ride.
2nd January 2020

Russian History
So many stories to tell.
2nd January 2020

Russian History
I knew so little of Russian history before this trip. When visiting Russia it is so much part of the ethos, I find it fascinating and a delight to research and tell. It is displayed in paintings, frescoes, architecture...in fact everywhere you look.
2nd January 2020

Quite a story!
No, correction of the title: "Quite a history". Where on earth did you dig so much of Eggnog history of Russia? Hats off to you. Oh yes, I know the Russian Nesting Doll...my uncle who did his PH.D In Russia, brought one for me...I was a kid. Great blog David....I told you before, compile...compile...publish!!!
2nd January 2020

Quite a story!
Glad you took the time to embrace the story and thus enjoy the ride, Tab. I recall the blog you gave me advice on publishing and I know you are right as that blog still captures reasonable attention and its subject matter and perspective are significant. Your books show the way for sure. One of our fellow mariners on this Russian trip has prepared a 200 page book of the trip that is fantastic, so that has me tempted also. Food for thought as always, Tab.
5th January 2020

Egg History
Dear David & Denise, A very happy New Year to you also. Let’s call them the “ Roaring 20’s!” Thanks for the great pics. as well as all the “egg” history - the mind just boggles with all that glitzy beauty. I also trust your “DOLL” takes pride of place in your home, so visitors can gasp at its beauty! A fantastic buy David - just too many “noughts “ on the amount perhaps?? A souvenir to remember always. Cheers Mary
5th January 2020

Egg History
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment Mary. I feel we were honoured to have met the eggs and can share their story. A real testament to the Russians who in times of turmoil knew that it was imperative that their treasures in artworks were part of the heart and soul of their history and needed to be preserved. I had a panda as my doll in my childhood and now it is a noughty Matryoshka Doll in my adulthood. She smiles and tells me this was meant to be!!!
23rd January 2020
15th Anniversary Egg 1911

On Faberge eggs
Several of the original Faberge eggs are missing and it is not known what has happened to them. I think I read a story that one of those was rediscovered only a few years ago. It was sold more or sell as junk. I have tried to find that story now but failed. So I might be wrong after all. /Ake
25th January 2020
15th Anniversary Egg 1911

On Faberge eggs
Hi Ake. I also have heard some of the Faberge Eggs are missing or not accounted for. Guess that makes them even more valuable.
7th February 2020

Eggs and other such things
Haha! Great punchline about the price of the Russian doll. At least it'll be a beautiful reminder to always check the price before purchasing. I agree about not wanting any big heavy souvenirs, especially at the beginning of a trip.
8th February 2020

Eggs and other such things
Initially the doll was smiling...ever since she's been laughing...along with Denise who has me paying it off for a lifetime! There's gotta be a lesson in there somewhere Tommy...but all I can do is wonder how I could have let it happen.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb