FACES OF RUSSIA...Communism is no longer in their vocabulary


Advertisement
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
October 16th 2019
Published: October 16th 2019
Edit Blog Post

They tell us Russians are schooled that smiling excessively is an indication of mental illness. Expecting stern demeanours...dour Stalinist architecture and constant reminders of a cold war communist past as we dance through Putin's pastures. A young couple...her long hair cascading...clasping close...his face snuggling into the nape of her neck. We turn the corner...his head arching back...lip... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 126, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

SingerSinger
Singer

St Petersburg
Victor ErokhinVictor Erokhin
Victor Erokhin

Author, Uglich
Anchor manAnchor man
Anchor man

Viking Ingvar
 Coin dealer Coin dealer
Coin dealer

1770 Catherine the Great coin
Tina & JayTina & Jay
Tina & Jay

Panorama Bar - Viking Ingmar
ElaineElaine
Elaine

Yaraslovl
LizLiz
Liz

Yaraslovl
SimonSimon
Simon

Yaraslovl
Snap!Snap!
Snap!

Deborah & Isla
See ya laterSee ya later
See ya later

New Traveller friends
Mikhael KistanovMikhael Kistanov
Mikhael Kistanov

BB Kings Moscow House of the Blues



16th October 2019

Comrades Unite
Oh to be transported! - what a thrill, what a trip, what a country, what a great group of Aussie comrades - thanks for the memories Dancing Dave
16th October 2019

Comrades Unite
Gotta love it when our perceptions are blown out of the water Laila. The measure of a trip is not just the things we see and the places we visit but the people we meet. A smorgasbord of characters and delights in Putin's pastures to be sure!
16th October 2019

Cold War - What Cold War?
Hi Dave, Yep, The Cold War is all about keeping the arms industry going. It's all political and media hype. OK, so, their brand of Communism didn't work, but great that you are loving it!
16th October 2019

Cold War - What Cold War?
The harsh reality of the Communist past in Russia is part of their history, David. That they have moved past it and are optimistic of their future is palatable and exciting. From my perspective I feel that while USA & China flex their muscles, Russia is the World power that has not yet shown it's hand. It's future cause and effect should be fascinating. And what part will your country play in it? Cold or hot I dare not speculate.
16th October 2019

Even non-cruisers find a time and place...
for this kind of travel. It looks like you had a great time meeting many people; all photographed so you will remember them. I suspect that you find another appropriate cruise someday.
16th October 2019

Even non-cruisers find a time and place..
Thanks Bob. I think of our time together in your mountain home and yours in ours half a world apart...so many stories to tell and laughs to share...yet a world event shared on your TV screen brought the horror of the unexpected tumbling down. We never know what is around the corner but until then we will enjoy the great times cruising or schmoozing through exotic destinations and meeting many fascinating people.
16th October 2019

Russian cosmonaut??
Wow, a real live cosmonaut!! We've only ever been on one cruise and swore we'd never go on another one, but the promise of a cosmonaut might be enough to change our minds.... Have fun!!
17th October 2019

Russian cosmonaut??
Incentives are there to draw you in Dave, some that tickle the palms, others the tonsils. A Russian cosmonaut just to spend time with us...now that's a rib rattler! Even better in the flesh...super impressive guy!
17th October 2019

Smiling faces....going places.....
Enjoyed being teased as a prelude to more good stories about your trip. Kept thinking....where is the picture of Denise? These are the faces of Russia! Finally saw her face near the end of the photos....cheers!
17th October 2019

Smiling faces....going places....
Ah Dangerous One. Smiling faces....going places. Just a few pics before the crescendo. MJ and you have swooned and grooved like us in BB Kings Club in Memphis. Remember Mr Sipp's gig in the Queens Lounge that was akin to a religious experience. Then imagine Denise and me in BB Kings House of the Blues in Moscow and you start to see the picture. Russian blues is awesome!
18th October 2019

Such a tease!
Cannot wait to hear more of the stories from your trip. Just love the gallery of faces! Somehow suspect you are going to be telling the story about the time you met a Russian cosmonaut for a very long time!
18th October 2019

Such a tease!
We met in the High Pamir Marie & Emma and shared some biscuits that you had scored to supplement Tajik fare. I hope my Russian & Uzbek tales provide some delights to interest your adventurous flair.
18th October 2019

Great Introduction
This sounds like an awesome trip and opportunity. Can't wait to hear more about Russia. I loved the roll call of voyagers and their pictures at the end of the blog. It feels like I'm being introduced to the passengers at the beginning of Gilligan's Island.
19th October 2019

Great Introduction
Caught in a storm and wrecked on a Gilliganesque island with a diverse band of nutters...mmmm. Are you introducing the script for my Russian blogs, Tommy? Maybe a dip in the Ganges with you at Varanasi might also be in order!
24th October 2019
Waterways of the Tzars

Waterways
We may need to check this out.
25th October 2019
Waterways of the Tzars

Waterays of the Tzars
Eto bylo by otlichnoy ideyey MJ. YA dumayu, vam ponravitsya- that would be a great idea MJ. I reckon you'd love it.
26th October 2019
St Peterburg Ballet

I love Russia
I love Russia and would like to travel more there. It's a pity that it is difficult for Swedes to get a visa to Russia. I hope you have more blog entries coming from this trip of yours. /Ake
29th October 2019
St Peterburg Ballet

I love Russia
Great to hear you love Russia, Ake. So do we. And good to guess the 20 year war between Sweden & Russia...Charles XII -v- Peter the Great has not dampened your enthusiasm. More Russian blogs to come for sure!
16th November 2019

Facing up to it !
Wow, Dave , I love the theme of all the faces. My son and family spent some time in Russia this summer with friends whose family had a dacha on their estate near Moscow ( a touch of Dr Zhivago comes to my mind) ...I’d love to go and did I hear a rumour that Putin was introducing visas online in 2020 ?? Fabulous photos. How long did you spend in the Hermitage ? They say it would take 11 years to see it all properly!!
16th November 2019

Facing up to it !
Great to hear from you Lynne. I think I've managed a "Faces of..." portrait blog of most countries and provinces we have shared on Travelblog. I find it so true that faces are the windows of the soul. Dr Zhivago is one of my all time favourite films. We passed many dachas as we cruised the Neva, Svir and Volga Rivers...we even passed Putins!!! The Hermitage was one of the reasons we came so watch out for a plethora of delights when I share that in my third Russian blog.

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 21; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb