Wednesday - Nautical Museums


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
October 4th 2017
Published: October 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

YaninaYaninaYanina

My favorite
It's raining...off and on. Thankful for Gett (Russian uber) not to have to walk so much. A four mile ride is 204 rubles ($3.50), tip included.

Started the day at the Russian Naval Museum. Many many models of ships from wooden sailing vessels to modern aircraft carriers. Most of them at least four feet long and many longer, lots of detail. The period 1900 to 1940 seems to be the favorite. During that time was the Russo-Japan war and the revolutions of 1917. There was a full scale version of an early one man submarine; I took my time considering how brave (drunk) a person would have to be to climb into that thing. Touring took the entire morning and into early afternoon.

Then to the Cruiser Arora for a visit. Arora is the full scale real thing from 1903. This steam powered fortress is now a floating museum. Lots of brass used on this old ship. Again, the imagination shifts to life aboard. These sailors must have been hearty fellas.

Back to the hotel to visit my favorite new niece Yanina (I want to bring her home, such a sweetheart). Then off to Georgian food and a visit to the liquor store for Russian Vodka (Beluga) and Absinthe (the real stuff, not the watered down US version).

Finished with my three day CityPass and it was worth the $85 price. Visited nine museums, took three boat rides, got a local SIM card and discounts on Gett.

Tomorrow I think I'll visit a more modern part of the City.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Road coring Russian styleRoad coring Russian style
Road coring Russian style

Felt right at home...
handicapped rampshandicapped ramps
handicapped ramps

Are these ADA approved?
DSCN0474DSCN0474
DSCN0474

Truly 100's of models, all with great detail
submarinesubmarine
submarine

one man death trap, I mean submarine


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb