Moscow


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
June 14th 2006
Published: July 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

111

St. Basil Church on Red Square.
Hello Everyone,
We finished our cruise along the Volga Canal that leads to Moscow. It is 128 km. long, has seven railroad bridges, twelve highway bridges, five pumping stations, eight power electric stations, eleven dams and eleven locks. It was built to bring water to Moscow. Get this--built in the 1930's in less than five years. They used convict labour. Many lives were lost.

Moscow is not at all what I expected. It is much cleaner than other parts of Russia--no graffiti, no dirty streets and so on. I found out why. City workers-- called "orange jackets" are paid on a piece rate basis. The more blocks they keep clean, the more money they earn. Even better, they get a large bonus if their area is the tidiest. This is judged by the residents who get a questionnaire every year asking them to rate the performance of all city workers.

Moscow is a magnet for anyone with ambition. The population is 10.5 million out of a total Russian population of 165 million, but 90% of wealth originates in Moscow with 8% in St. Petersburg and 2% in the rest of the country. Most of the wealthy held good posts
222

Convent where nobles could send wives who got in the way.
with the soviets and were given first chance to buy factories.

Although the official population is 10.5 million, it is 20 million if you include illegals. To live in Moscow one must obtain a residence permit and then obtain a work permit--all with a hefty fee. That is why there are so many illegals, but they work cheap and do jobs that nobody else wants to do. All permits are renewed every year.

About ten years ago, Gorbechev did away with duplication in industry. As a result many men lost their jobs. Women, on the other hand, looked at the changes and opened businesses to cater the new demands of Russian citizens. Today, women on average earn one and one-half more than men. As a result, marriage is declining--many women are choosing not to marry. Many are choosing to have a child with a willing donor, but the birth rate is still very low.

Bye for now,
äîííà


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

33
3

Crypt on convent grounds. This guy wasn't religious, but he donated lots of money.
44
4

Another shot of St. Basil. 10,000 people lined up round the clock for up to five hours to see the mummified hand of John the Baptist. When I walked by they were singing hymns.
55
5

There are seven of these buildings in Moscow. Built by convict labour. Called a "Stalin Wedding Cake."
66
6

Taken on the Volga Canal. Not all Russians are poor!
77
7

Another shot of the convent.
88
8

You can't escape them. The locals call it the American Embassy.
99
9

Red Square, Moscow.
1010
10

My new friends--Stalin and Lenin.
1111
11

Putin's office at the Kremlin. Most people speak highly of him.
1212
12

Church at the Kremlin. Used on for coronations, weddings and burials.
1313
13

Square at the Kremlin.


9th July 2006

Great Photos
Hi Donna You're looking great travelling Lady. I amsure we are all enjoying the photos AND the "inside" history info. Kep it coming and keep well. Selma
10th July 2006

Moscow
Donna, Most fascinating. Woman earning more than men. I love that! Thinking of you. Linda Peers

Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0737s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb