RUSSIA: Moscow Blues...the Jews & the Revolution


Advertisement
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
November 15th 2020
Published: November 15th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Did you know the Japanese provided safe passage through Japan for Jews escaping from Europe to escape extermination by the Nazis in the Second World War? Hitler sent emissaries to get Japan to cease and they refused. About 24,000 Jews were saved before a Japanese leadership change resulted in incarceration in Shanghai instead. In 1919 the Japanese while fighting alongside the White Russians aga... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 21


Advertisement


2.5 million Jews were systematically executed2.5 million Jews were systematically executed
2.5 million Jews were systematically executed

The Second World War in Russia







15th November 2020

Singing the Revolutionary Blues
Wow! Some very fascinating history here, some of which I wasn't familiar with. The Jewish Museum and Centre of Tolerance looks very interesting and a place I'd like to visit. I like how you wove in the music videos too. Splashing out at BB King's House of Blues was great! Was surprised to see the signatures of some legendary musicians scrawled on the wall, but especially Joe Bonamassa's!! Great blog and photos, Dave! P.S. I AM a cruise person even though I love land travel and tours just as much!
16th November 2020

Singing the Revolutionary Blues
Moscow is full of wonderful attractions Sylvia. I had a list of about 20 that appealed to me but the Jewish Museum & Centre of Tolerance intrigued us. Would it be a sanitised denial of pograms & atrocities in Russia? No. It was a celebration of Jewish history and culture with dousing us with light rain during Noah & the Great Flood and pulling no punches with the atrocities I recount in my blog. Credit to Russia that the stories could be told. We could have stayed all day. Had to call on BB to raise our spirits again.
15th November 2020

Russian Jews...
My uncles second wife was one. She was able to escape to America. So many were murdered. Then they had to fight for a homeland. Now they are finding some peace with Arab nations establishing diplomatic relations. I pray that this peace will last.
16th November 2020

Russian Jews...
It was a story I had to tell Bob. What will be their future? Thanks for reading and commenting.
17th November 2020
BB Kings House of the Blues

Blues Brothers
I am more of a rock'n'roll guy myself, but Blues Brothers is a classic. /Ake
19th November 2020
BB Kings House of the Blues

Blues Brothers
Noted Ake. I trust you noticed the Mikhael Kistanov music video in my blog had a touch of the Blues Brothers style...quirky & fun.
18th November 2020

"But history teaches us that man does NOT learn from the lessons of history."
That's a great caption...we have seen this over and over again. A good reminiscence Dave...a wonderful walk down the memory lane. A great narration of the history. Thanks!
19th November 2020

"But history teaches us that man does NOT learn from the lessons of history."
This has been the most difficult Russian blog to write, Tab...and possibly the most important. The subject is so sensitive, I could not be indifferent or unmoved. Thanks for your thoughtful comment as always.
29th November 2020

Histories and stories to tell
Once again the dancing one has waved history among his music and stories. Asking all the questions and pondering the past. So many countries are in denial of their past intolerance and decisions.
8th December 2020

Histories and stories to tell
T'was also a particularly thoughtful story for me to tell requiring sensitivity and discernment without hiding from the issues. As Anti-Semitism is historically such a nasty excuse for those who wish to vent racism & bigotry over the centuries, I do not wish to be tarred with the racist, bigot brush by proffering my blog. I was impressed that Russia, who cannot be proud of their treatment of Jews in history, are prepared to be open and not hide from this terrible history with the exhibitions and presentations the Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance in Moscow has to offer.
30th November 2020

Some further reading
Hi, If you have some time to spare - highly recommend "Becoming Soviet Jews" and, especially, "LEGACY OF BLOOD Jews, Pogroms, and Ritual Murder in the Lands of the Soviets" - both by the outstanding Elissa Bemporad. She was also featured some time ago on "Sean's Russia Blog", which I also wholeheartedly recommend. If you have a hard time finding the books - can send it via email to you. Strictly for academic purposes, of course. Cheers, Yanis
5th December 2020

Fourth attempt to post the comment.
There are several excellent books on the subject, but my favorite is LEGACY OF BLOOD Jews, Pogroms, and Ritual Murder in the Lands of the Soviets by Elissa Bemporad. I have to say the book is kind of hard to come by - took me several months of searching before I could get a copy. The author has recently also done an excellent podcast here: https://srbpodcast.org/2020/06/26/pogroms-and-blood-libel-in-the-soviet-union/ On a separate note - ethnic policy in USSR, especially the early Bolshevik years, is a fascinating subject, and I'm always a little surprised, talking about it with my American Jewish friends, that they usually remember hearing something about the refuseniks and the Great post-soviet aliyah , but not about late Tsarist pogroms, the Bolshevik integration efforts, or the role of Jews in the Revolution.
8th December 2020

Fourth attempt to post the comment.
Thank you Yanis for your comments and further readings and input. I will check them out as I have with your recommendations made with my other Russian blogs. I hope I have added to your knowledge or perspectives with the details I have proffered in my blogs. I hope we keep in touch.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb