RUSSIA...Magnificent Moscow & its Magnificent Moments #1


Advertisement
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
August 29th 2020
Published: August 29th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Like a concerto the Russian rivers carried us in three movements...two fast outer movements and a slow lyrical middle movement. I do not know if t'was its classical or purely Russian form but it was punctuated with cadenzas...brilliant dramatic solo passages where soloists play and the orchestra pauses and remains silent. Soloists standing or sitting in front of the orchestra contrasting their s... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Old meets NewOld meets New
Old meets New

Westly passing by



29th August 2020
Moscow Metro

The Metro - want to do an "all in"
I wish I had the time to go to Moscow only to spend 4 or 5 days to go to every station of the Moscow Metro. I'd enjoy that I think. Or would I get "templed out"? Maybe? Anyway, I have a soft spot for cool Metro systems. London Metro and Paris Metro are also pretty cool. Stockholm Metro is also often mentioned as one of the more spectacular in the world actally. None of those can compare to Moscow of course. But I think there might be one Metro system with even more spectacular stations than Moscow namely Pyongyang Metro. But I've only seen two stations there so I can't really tell. /Ake
29th August 2020
Moscow Metro

The Metro - want to do an "all in"
I was looking forward to the Moscow Metro, Ake and found the history as interesting as its splendid ornamentation. I agree needs plenty of time to properly explore as I understand each station is different. Another in the World that is up there is Tashkent in Uzbekistan which was built after the city was destroyed in an earthquake.
29th August 2020

Once again you have waxed lyrical...
inspired by one of the great cities of the world. I think you got pictures of every angle of St. Basil's. I await the more to come as there are so many things to see there.
30th August 2020

Once again you have waxed lyrical...
Truly one of the great cities of the World, Bob. One of the prettiest from the air too. Then there is Red Square and St Basil's. Each of the nine chapels has a name and history so relevant and meaningful to the chroniclers that capturing it at every angle was my impetus to discovering their stories.
30th August 2020

Den and the Dancing One in Red Square
Magnificent! Definitely on our bucket list. The architecture and colors must be even more stunning when you're standing there taking it all in.....The Dangerous One
31st August 2020

Den and the Dancing One in Red Square
Truly magnificent Dangerous One. I remember MJ, Denise, you & I in an Irish pub in Moscow Airport on the way to Armenia from Tajikistan. I hope my pics & stories excite you both to return to step outside! More titbits to come.
30th August 2020
St Basil's Cathedral

Marvelous Indeed!
What a fantastic look at some of the most marvelous sights in Moscow! Like the architecture of St. Basil's Cathedral, the Moscow Metro Stations are also magnificent works of art. Moscow definitely is one of the great cities of the world. Really wish I could see it in person one day, but at least I've gotten to visit St. Petersburg! Great photos, DAVE!!
31st August 2020
St Basil's Cathedral

Marvelous Indeed!
I can imagine you in Moscow Syl...you'd love it. You have picked my favourite photo as well. There are so many faces of St Basil's and each has an intriguing history that I have only touched on. Let us hope it is not too far away that you can discover them too!
30th August 2020

Thanks for the visual tour
Hi David Photos are superb, as usual. Thanks for the visual tour. Hope you and Denise are safe and well. Looking forward to the next galleria. Best regards Ron (and Pauline)
31st August 2020

Thanks for the visual tour
Great to hear from you, Ron & Pauline. Denise and I have missed both of your wit and smiles. I'm sending a pic of you both at St Basil’s for your family album. I’ll present further of Moscow when I have time as this was just entrée of an amazing city we had 5 or 6 days discovering.
30th August 2020

A wonderful & interesting memory
Dear David Thank you for sharing your skill and enthusiasm to collate your photos into a wonderful and interesting memory for most, if not all, who participated on the tour. Brings back fond memories, despite having been confined to bed for 3 or 4 days of our cruise during which I missed some interesting landscapes, history and company. Looking forward to our next trip to somewhere. Sections of the Silk Route; or wildlife in Botswana; or Vietnam; etc ? Earlier this year we enjoyed Chilean Patagonia, including two cruises to the northern and southern glaciers on Skorpios 1 and 2, and got home in time to avoid pandemic restrictions. But I did not proceed to tour Mexico for work and pleasure. I am still wondering whether I will get a refund. We are fortunate, tomorrow Glenda and I will visit the wildflowers of the WA wheatbelt, NNE of Perth. Enjoy your weekend and regards to you and Denise. Wolf and Glenda.
31st August 2020

A wonderful & interesting memory
Thanks Wolf & Glenda. How lucky were you to have completed your Chilean Patagonia coastal adventure just before the pandemic hit. We went in and out of Argentina & Chile in a 4WD some years ago...Denise did most of the driving & I had the important tasks of navigating & changing the music! Patagonia is Wilderness Wonderland. We count ourselves super lucky to have enjoyed the stunning vistas of Russia with a delightful group of intrepid Aussie travellers being our last major trip before the virus bit. More to come of Magnificent Moscow...and I'm sure you agree it was truly magnificent! I'll send you some pics to preserve the memory.
1st September 2020

Did someone say pretty from the air?
Wonder if you have seen a short 6-minute video of a Moscow flyover (I though I might have linked to it before, but not too sure): https://youtu.be/nFMypKB2b1I If the YouTube link is stripped, look for "Проход стратегического ракетоносца Ту-95МС над Москвой" by Marina Lystseva. Some timestamps for areas you might recognize: 0:17 SVO airport 1:57 northern river port (where your ship moored) 2:44 Sokol 2:56 Dynamo stadium 3:30 Kremlin Cheers!
1st September 2020

Did someone say pretty from the air?
Thanks for the youtube link...pretty awesome. I have flown into Moscow twice during the day and the link brought back the expanse with buildings among swathes of trees and greenery that truly make Moscow pretty from the air. Your comments are much appreciated and I would like to know your first name so I can thank you appropriately.
7th September 2020

More airshots
Here's some more aerial footage. Not quite as dramatic, and I could live without the background music - but still quite pretty: https://youtu.be/S_dfq9rFWAE Ps. Yanis is the name-o :-)
7th September 2020

More airshots
Staggering...woooh...what can I say that does them justice? I have just looked at your latest links of aerial drone views of Moscow, Yanis...the 2 min was an absolute mind blower...the 13 min an awakening...the 27 min a confirmation. Moscow has gotta be the prettiest city from the air...in the World. Can't thank you enough Yanis. Inspires me to add to more of my Magnificent Moments to this space!
5th October 2020

Moscow in Three Movements
Moscow has been on my travel list for some time now. For some reason I've always wanted to go there in either the dead of winter or a bleak November week. Speaks to me about the Russian soul. Moscow is so full of history, isn't it. Thanks to Stalin indeed. I enjoyed your musings on this weighty city. I particularly like the picture of you smiling in front of St. Basil's. If that photo doesn't show a true representation of traveler's delight, then I don't know what does.
6th October 2020

Moscow in Three Movements
Great to hear from you Tommy. There has to be something special about the Russian psyche that produces such intriguing history, art, culture and gotta say it...onion domes. I also think of the pandemic raging in Russia and how far away it may be before we can get back there. Our favourite times to travel in China is Winter as crowds are down. We kinda think that time in Russia could be wickedly cold but with landscapes like we saw in its Autumn we reckon in Winter would be beyond spectacular. Keep dreaming Tommy. Where there is a will there is a way...and in Russia there is always music!

Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 19; qc: 26; dbt: 0.106s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb