Vladivostok, On the Sea of Japan


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Far East » Vladivostok
May 7th 2014
Saved: May 5th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Considered the end of most Trans Siberian journeys, Vladivostok is the beginning of mine. I arrived here from Japan, originally planned via a ferry on the Sea of Japan. Instead, due to time constraints, and the fact that three days and two nights on the Sea of Japan are not my idea of enjoyable travel, I flew here from Tokyo Haneda airport. The interesting part of this flight to Vladivostok was my layover in Seoul, Korea, birthplace of my adopted daughter, Sarah, in 1988. Vladivostok is the proverbial end of this momentous journey, it is yet the beginning of mine. The city sits on the Pacific Rim, a naval port that still holds strategic significance for the Puntinites. It is the home of the Russian Pacific Fleet, and the largest Russian port on the Pacific. During the Soviet era, Vladivostok was off limits to travelers (1958-1992). There is something mysteriously interesting about seeing these Cold War remnants, although it raises the question of whether things are really different now or not.

Vladivostok is also quite close to the borders of both China and North Korea. I wonder kind of plans these fine folks have around here? The population is under 600,000, and decreasing slowly. The rough translation from Russian means "the ruler of the East." The city sits at the very southernmost portion of the Muravyov-Amursky Peninsula.

The aboriginals of the area are called Udege minority. The Chinese actually settled the area, until driven out by the Russians in the Manza War. Back then the fight was over gold mining. In 1903, the Trans Siberian Railway was completed to the City. The Russian civil war with the Chinese did not end until 1922. The main economy now is based on commercial fishing, shipping, and the omnipresent Russian navy. Fishing accounts for four-fifths of the city's commercial production. Perhaps I will be able to find a sushi bar, Russian style! Another important source of revenue is the importation of Japanese automobiles. Dealers here sell over 250,000 Japanese cars a year, with 200,000 going to other parts of Russia. In fact, every third worker in the Primorsky Krai (the maritime province of which Vladivostok is the capital) has something to do with the auto business. Vladivostok is also the starting point of the Ussuri Highway (M60) to Khabarovsk. This is the easternmost part of the Trans Siberian Highway that runs all the way to Moscow and St. Petersburg, via Novosibirsk. I still remember learning the name of these strange sounding Russian cities in geography class as a sophomore in high school. The Trans Siberian Railway was completed in 1905 to link Moscow with Vladivostok, its most important Russian port. Air routes connect Vladivostok to North Korea, South Korea, Japan, China, and Vietnam. Is it any surprise that Russian weapons made their way to Vietnam during the American war? It is also possible to reach Vladivostok from several Russian cities, as well as Anchorage, Alaska. And of course, ferries offer a cheaper, although longer access point from northern Japan, and North Korea. When the Russian Revolution began in 1917, Vladivostok was actually taken over by the Japanese until the early 1920s. The Port became home to the Russian Pacific Fleet, continuing to grow considerably after World War 2. After the fall of Communism, the port emerged as a commercial port, bringing commercial goods from many Asian countries. The port is ice free year around, and brings $275 million in trade each year. Experts say that living in this city presents considerable health hazard due to pollution. The pollution is caused by about 80 commercial sites, most of which are not environmentally friendly. With its geographic location, winds cannot clear pollution from densely populated areas. This city will serve as the jumping off point of my trip. I plan to stay just one night, and catch my train the very next day. Here is hoping I can find something to eat, and get a decent night's rest before my big journey. Welcome to Russia, comrades!

<br id="FontBreak" />

COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb