RUSSIA...The Golden Ring of Postcode 150,000


Advertisement
Europe » Russia » Centre » Yaroslavl
April 5th 2020
Published: April 11th 2020
Edit Blog Post

On our wedding day Denise & I exchanged gold rings. I was then told I could kiss my bride. I moved in and picked her up which brought gasps and squeals of delight. We then kissed long and hard. The minister said he had never seen that before. I thought he was referring to lifting her off her feet and swinging her around...maybe it was the length of the kiss. Denise also might have been surpr... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 126, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




11th April 2020
Cathedral of the Assumption

Rings of Gold
You've become smitten with Russia..... we are eager to see what it has to offer. You found another town to get married in. You've been married in Australia and in Mali. I'm not sure you'd have to pay goats in Russia but maybe vow renewals are coming. Rich in history and thanks for sharing the beauty.
11th April 2020
Cathedral of the Assumption

Rings of Gold
I'm not a seer or an oracle MJ, but the idea of recommitting 40 years of marriage in the 17thC Rostov Veliky Kremlin has very much crossed my mind...maybe 'Rings of Rostov' could be the theme...Mmmm. I also hear Patriarch Kirill (Cyril) is currently pressing for it to be restored as a monastery. It is thus not just Golden Rings but also Cyril that is still calling me as in my last blog. The ring or is it the call to renew my vows that is tightening? Mmmm!
11th April 2020
St Elijah the Prophet

Magnificent
Such artistry....and the fresco's are nice also.
11th April 2020
St Elijah the Prophet

Magnificent
So true MJ...the ornate stonework and framing woodcarvings are magnificent...but while these frescoes blew my mind...what follows made me realise I'd seen nothing yet!!!
11th April 2020
Yaroslavl old town

A moment
Wonder what she is looking for....
11th April 2020
Yaroslavl old town

A moment
Well spotted MJ. While Denise searched for chocolate I went searching for moments such as this. Life is summarised by events...and moments.
11th April 2020

Golden Ring of Postcode
Paraphrasing tool, Paraphrase Tool, Best Paraphrasing tool Happy mothers Day CSR 2 APK, csr 2 hack, car 2 unlimited money Free house of fun coins, free hof coins, house of fun coins
11th April 2020

Golden Ring of Postcode
I wonder if my 1770 Catherine the Great coin is a 'house of fun coin' Shahzad...but as it was not free I guess its not!!!
11th April 2020
Tutayev Resurrection Cathedral

Great Memories!
Enjoyed reading the opening story about your wedding and wedding ring (sounds like you may be the last of the real romantics) and relating it your gold wedding ring to the "Golden Ring" in Russia! Had never heard of the "Golden Ring" in Russia before, so definitely learned something about Yaroslavl. Great collection of photos of church domes! Love the architecture!
12th April 2020
Tutayev Resurrection Cathedral

Great Memories!
Thanks for your kind comments Sylvia. For such a seasoned traveller as you, I hope it inspires. Travel to me is a story...so to weave other aspects of my life into it is a necessary part of the matrix...and the storytelling.
11th April 2020

Lesson #1: Never take off your wedding ring!
When you learn that lesson, then you may return to the Golden Ring to celebrate your 40th anniversary. As for your kids house party, hopefully you/they learned lesson #2. I loved your story and the pictures...
12th April 2020

Lesson #1: Never take off your wedding ring!
I have on occasion rued the rush of blood that meant I had ignored my lessons, disasters and regret sometimes resulting. But seeking to grasp serendipity has often been my journey so can't complain. My kids learning lesson 2...never would happen if the lesson came from their Dad. Lesson 1...figuratively yes...necessary to return to achieve my quest? Not so sure. Enjoyed your comment.
12th April 2020

clearing some tissues off our bedroom floor...
Sorry had trouble getting past this ... "clearing some tissues off our bedroom floor..." so I request you edit to read "clearing my tissues off our bedroom floor..." thanks! Now that I have addressed the above, Russia infiltrated my soul in a way that took me by surprise - I've always found it's recent political history intriguing & beguiling & have flirted with such economic/political ideas but it was the richness of colour, design & culture of the land & its people that drew me in. Russia's multi layered depth of everything drew a stark contrast to my personal experience of Australian's European settlement history of just over 250 years. I could go another round of Russia & do all things golden ring...
12th April 2020

clearing some tissues off our bedroom floor...
Seems as if you are already warming to the idea of doing another round of Russia and do all things golden ring, my love. Can't risk the three days it took you to say "yes" while we travelled up the Niger in a leaky boat to our last rededication. Sounds like a few well chosen words may be all I need to pull off a Rings of Rostov...but in this uncertain world when will the Russians let us in?
14th April 2020
Cathedral of the Assumption

Onion Domes
Seeing orthodox churches with gaudy coloured onion domes in Australian suburbs leaves me a bit cold... but in situ, how absolutely amazing are they? Love the shapes, textures, light and richness of this one.
14th April 2020
Cathedral of the Assumption

Onion Domes
It was not until I was preparing my last blog that it really hit me that the onion domes and spires at Cyril's monastery were all different shapes even if on the same structure. Yet in this blog in Yaroslavl, the onion domes on each individual church are uniform but each church displays its own distinctive domes or arcs. It is like a fashion parade with the designers showing off different seasonal colours and styles. The onion dome in this pic has beautiful lines and mosaics to reflect the light. It is hard when travelling Russia to not be captivated by the variety of styles of what in essence are variations of a spherical shape.
16th April 2020

The Golden ring connection
The synergy was great...I was waiting to find out how it connects at the end. No, nothing can prevent you having your 40th anniversary connecting you and Denise to the Golden Ring in Russia.
16th April 2020

The Golden ring connection
Not quite at the 40 year mark yet, Tab, but if this pandemic can be overcome The Rostov Ring could become a reality. I am a firm believer in having something to look forward to. I will thus continue to water this idea and see what happens.
18th April 2020

Return of the Ring?
Fantastic entry. I cheer you on in your quest for the happiness to be found in a return trip to Russia's Golden Ring. Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.
18th April 2020

Return of the Ring?
Hope is definitely one of the best of things, Tommy. Can the call of the Golden Ring defeat the virus and allow us to return to Russia from Oz? Sometimes one needs more than hope. I also possess determination and a firm belief I can achieve anything I set my mind to. May you have everything you need in New York to defeat the scourge that is destroying your city...may you not only have hope...but the firm belief you will not succumb but you will defeat that pandemic thing.
25th August 2020
St Michael the Archangel

Many years since I was in Russia
I really enjoy reading your blogs from Russia. It is a country I love but haven't been to for many years. Since it is not likely that I will go there anytime soon it feels great to read your stories as a substitute. /Ake
26th August 2020
St Michael the Archangel

Many years since I was in Russia
Nice to hear from you Ake. I can only imagine what it must be like in Sweden with such a massive neighbour that could be potentially friend or foe. Yet your small nation over the centuries has made Russia know you are not to be underestimated. To us in Oz Russia is a land of mystery with a history that is as full of intrigue as its territories are vast. We feel so fortunate to have been there so recently...and while we long to go back...will we ever get the chance? Keep safe & well from Denise & I and thanks for keeping in touch.

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb