Day #19: Vladimir


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Centre » Vladimir
April 20th 2013
Published: April 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

The day started dramatically, with startled shouting leading us to look outside our hotel window to see an old woman had fallen out of a bus directly below us and hit the back of her head on the pavement. A concerned crowd of passengers stopped to see her to her feet and she walked away, but the bus driver just drove off - health and safety is not really a thing in Russia.

The rest of the day was much more relaxed, as we pottered around the sights of Vladimir, the primary one being its Assumption Cathedral and the view behind it over the Oka valley. Vladimir is bigger and livelier than Suzdal - being the weekend, the streets were rowdy last night and there were many Russian visitors to the sights today -and although less pretty, I preferred it to Suzdal, for its relative vibrancy and the spectacular views of the countryside, swathes of brush and straight bare trees in patches of floodplain.

We also saw a small wedding party on the top of the bluff. The guests had linked arms and were dancing in a circle around the newly-married couple, to the accompaniment of an accordianist who was directing the dancing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0854s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb