We're here!!


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Transilvania » Salaj » Simleu Silvaniei
July 8th 2005
Published: July 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Well, day one is now officially over. But let me start with our trip over yesterday. We couldn’t have asked for better flights. We made all of for brief connections (some of us by a few minutes). Unfortunately, not all of our luggage made the connections. Of the 68 pieces of luggage that we checked, 40 didn’t make it to Budapest with us. Being the great planner that he is, Tony had a plan B and sent 14 of us ahead to Romania and waited with the rest until the luggage arrived on the next flight from Frankfort. They were able to leave Budapest by 5 p.m. and arrived at Tony’s house by midnight. Luckily, all we lost was a VBS flannel graph board and a bedroll, nothing completely essential. All of our medications and personal items made it just fine. We might actually still get it if the airline found it and was able to send it to us. Tony thinks it might arrive right before we are ready to leave.

Today was a preparation day. The medical team sorted and packed all of the medication for the clinics. The VBS team worked on translating our story and brain stormed on ways that we can work around not having our flannel board. We have some very creative people! We were able to use some of the medical dressing gowns for background and if we can get a piece of cardboard we might just have one better than the first. The drama team has been practicing all day. The evangelistic team has been studying their lessons. Today was a day to rest a bit and get ready to hit the ground running tomorrow.

The teen drama team is staying is staying a short distance from us and has their own rigorous schedule different from our own. The construction team is staying full time at the camp. Tony told us they have already completed 2/3 of one of the cabins, just today. At that pace, they will complete them all out a few days early!! Tomorrow our paths cross as we go to visit the camp and the orphanage in Oradea. I can’t wait to go see the kids that I visited there 6 months ago. I especially want to see Piki and the twin boys David and Jonathan. I’m sure that they have all grown like weeds.

I must say that Romania looks different in the summer. Amber and I were observing how much it looks like the Midwest back in the states. We are in some foothills and they rise up all around the house and are covered in bright green trees. The weather is BEAUTIFUL. It has been in the 60’s in the evening and maybe 75 during the day. There is no humidity and the breeze keeps us from getting too warm. Perfect.

Everyone loves the food that Mrs. Pope has been preparing for us. They are stuffing us until we pop!! Big meals with everything you can imagine to eat. We had the yummy chicken noodle soup and schnitzel tonight with mashed potatoes, couscous and a fresh summer salad with vegetables that they picked from the garden today.

College & Career Update: Alina says hello and she misses you all. Feri and Sanda now have their baby girl Naomi . . . she is a beautiful baby. Romeo is our driver again for what that is worth to anyone with the initials S.C.! I am staying in the house that Cindy and Gilbert had before, but they have put in a bathroom and painted over all of the hand painted “wallpaper.” We also have our own refrigerator and coffee pot. It’s amazing; it doesn’t even look like the same place! 6 of us are staying over here. Summer here is different! I now understand why Tony spends his summers here!

We love and miss you all. Everyone says hello!

Amy 😊

Click here for Hope for Romania

Advertisement



9th July 2005

Hi!
Amy, Sorry the flannel graph didn't make it. I know how hard you worked on it. God has a plan :) I miss Romania more than I ever thought I would! Reading these messages takes me back. Praying for all of you. Cindy
10th July 2005

We are praying for you!
Glad everyone is doing well. We just talked about the Church as an organism vs. an organization. The Church is much bigger than we can comprehend and this shows that it is all over the world. We are happy to have you representing us there.
10th July 2005

Hey!!!
Its good to hear that everyone is doing good. I wouldnt get too excited over the cabins yet if my dad and my brother are the ones building it(joking of course). I wish I could be their but the wonderful world of insurance beckons. I hope and pray for the best for you guys over there!!! And Amy just try not to get sick again and also make sure that none of the Romanians get bit by "THE BLACK WIDOW"" Alright be good. Tell my dad and my brother I love them and miss them.

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb