towards Brasov


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Transilvania » Brasov
July 14th 2014
Published: July 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

le We left Sighisoare in the rain. We only had to go 118 Kilometres, so we had plenty of time to enjoy the scenery. The villages are built all along the road. In such a way, there is no opening in between, just an enormous gate to let the horses and carts loaded with hay to get in. Cows, sheep, chooks and geese are running everywhere. Each village has some sort of fortification high on the hill. Bears and Wolves roam the forests but not that close that we could see them. The Saxons and Hungarians settled here during the middle ages. The threat of an invasion from the east resulted in building the fortifications of churches and citadels. The first one of these was in Sachiz. Build between 1493-1525. Like all Transylvanian fortified churches they played both a protective and religious roll. After looking at this we had a bowl of soup at a trucking roadhouse. As at home where the truckies stop food is reliable. We than came passed a huge citadel on a hill, not mentioned anywhere. We asked someone who was there, he said it had only recently reopened, this year after restoring. It is called Ropea fortress. It has also German names. A lot of German is spoken as well and is used everywhere. The renovations were massive as you can imagine with a building started in the 13th century. Over several centuries, wings walls or towers were added or destroyed, depending on which country had invaded or possessed it. Although you wonder how anyone could get near it. The locals from near villages would seek refuge in the citadel, if an invader came near. We than arrived in Brasov, which is a reasonable seized town. Again the combination of the GPR and us got us in front of our overnighter for the next three nights. We went to town but more about that tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb